Thursday, August 6, 2009

Feeling Very Thankful

Lately I know people have heard me say more than once that the world of crime fiction (it's writers, readers, book sellers, reviewers, bloggers, etc.) is just full of wonderful people. Of course you'll always have a bad apple or two anywhere you go, but overall the people connected with crime fiction are generous, considerate, compassionate, appreciative fun people.

I'm sure you're wondering what is bringing all this on. Well, I have to tell you that I've been amazed by the kind notes I've been receiving from folks lately. I've been receiving emails and comments and whatnot from readers of the blog saying how much they enjoy certain posts. I've been receiving thank you notes from writers who are in the six-word memoir project or whose books I've written reviews for. People re-tweet my tweets on Twitter concerning the blog. These are the ultimate compliments for a blogger. They absolutely are.

Most recently I received a note that said, "thank you for being a friend to crime fiction writers," and I felt horribly guilty. I've always viewed my blog as a selfish indulgence. I blog because I love mystery and crime fiction; I love to talk about it, share it, promote it and just be surrounded by it. I love having an avenue to be creative with it. The friends I've made have been the greatest bonus.

This week, one of those friends that I've made through this blog mentioned me in her blog. Kaye Barley writes the Meanderings and Muses blog that I so enjoy. Going to read Kaye's blog is like going to that favorite cozy place where you cuddle up and just feel happy and warm and safe. It's a place that never fails to make you smile. It's a no wonder everyone wants to hang out there! Well, the reason Kaye mentioned me in her blog was to "award" me the Splash Award, which she says is "an award given to blogs that have made a splash." And I have to share with you what she said about Jen's Book Thoughts because no one could have said anything nicer to me...ever. Here it is:

"Jen Forbus is making a very big splash with her Jen's Book Thoughts. She's captured the attention of the mystery community in a big way, and is one of its favorite bloggers."

I always joke that I exist in my own little bubble, oblivious to what other people are doing. So when Kaye said I have "captured the attention of the mystery community" my immediate reaction was to say, "Not me. What are you talking about?" And then that selfish little (o.k., not so little) part of me said, "really? me? my blog? I captured attention just by being allowed to play and have fun with stuff I love?" That is too cool! And I haven't come down off Cloud 9 since.

My heart is overflowing. My many thanks to Kaye for her exceptional kindness for these words and to all the writers and readers who have taken a minute or two lately to say they enjoy something here; it truly means more than you can imagine. You let me play and have fun and be a part of this world I so love; there is no feeling greater than being accepted. Big hugs to you all!

But, of course, this recognition brought so much joy to me; I absolutely must try to impart at least a small fraction of that on a blog I admire as well. The blogger I want to recognize makes not only a splash in the blog-o-sphere, but also in the physical realm as well. Michael Alatorre is the author of the Lazy Thoughts from a Boomer blog. If you have not been over to Michael's blog, I highly recommend doing so. You will laugh; you will reminisce; you will ponder, wonder, consider. Michael talks about everything I enjoy: books, Robert Crais, movies, Robert Crais, music, did I mention Robert Crais?, politics, life. It's never offensive; it's always insightful; and it's a blog I visit regularly. It's like a drug; I can't stay away! But on top of all that, its author is a great friend. He's generous and kind and a person I am honored to call "friend." Thank you, Michael, for splashing your way into my life. I am a better person because of it.

O.k., so that's why I'm feeling thankful today. And I also thank you today for humoring me and letting me share this with you. Tomorrow, I promise, it's back to crime fiction! I have to get caught up on my reviews for heaven's sake! ;) Happy Reading, friends!



Bouchercon Countdown: 70 days!


4 comments:

le0pard13 August 6, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

Jen, I would re-itinerate your thoughts about those that are a part of the world of crime fiction. Like you, they are warm, generous, and talented folk that draw others to their work. You are deserving of this splashy award, Jen.

I thank you for being the wonderful person that you are, and for your generosity in sharing it with me. You are one in a million :-)

Corey Wilde August 6, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

Hear, hear! Jen and Michael -- nice to see you both getting some much deserved positive attention.

Serena August 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

your posts are always fantastic and I love the six word memoir project. It is one of my favorite features in the blogoshpere.

Keep up the great work.

Jen Forbus August 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

Thanks you guys. Your comments are extraordinarily generous and very much appreciated! :)

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP