Monday, August 3, 2009

Monday Mystery Backlist - TONIGHT I SAID GOODBYE

This week Michael Koryta will release his fourth Lincoln Perry novel, so I thought it fitting that we pay some homage to the book that started this series as well as Koryta's career - yes, at the age of 21. TONIGHT I SAID GOODBYE was the winner of the 2003 St. Martin's Press/PWA Prize for Best First PI Novel. It was also shortlisted for the Edgar Award for Best First Novel.

When Investigator Wayne Weston is found dead of an apparent suicide, his father calls on the services of Lincoln Perry and Joe Pritchard to prove that it was no suicide. In addition, Weston's father wants Perry and Pritchard to locate his missing granddaughter and daughter-in-law. As they begin to sort through the details of the case, Perry and Pritchard find far more than what they originally expected, including a millionaire real estate tycoon and the FBI.

When Ken Bruen read TONIGHT I SAID GOODBYE, his response was:

"I'm hugely envious of a twenty-one-year-old who arrives fully formed as a writer of poise, style, and damn it, elegance...and he's crafted a narrative that sizzles on the page. My consolation is that I've witnessed the emergence of a unique talent - still madly envious, though."
This is a series well worth starting at the beginning with. TONIGHT I SAID GOODBYE is a phenomenal introduction to a character I count among my favorites.

TONIGHT I SAID GOODBYE was published by St. Martin's Minotaur in hardcover (ISBN: 978-0312332457) in September of 2004 and in mass market paperback (ISBN: 978-0312932091) in November of 2005.


3 comments:

le0pard13 August 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

Well, you know I was going to chime in on this. It's quite amazing that a 21 yr old could write a novel so elegant and fully formed as this debut. Luckily, Jen, you turned me on to this author. Thanks for the post and the recommendation.

Sheila (bookjourney) August 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

Great review! This looks good. I need a good mystery!

Corey Wilde August 3, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

As amazing as his first published novel is, what truly amazes me is how Koryta's talent has blossomed in subsequent books.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP