Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Very Special "You Have the Right to Six Words"

This week we are recognizing book bloggers for their tireless efforts in promoting and sharing their love of reading. So, this week's "You Have the Right to Six Words" is going to mirror that appreciation. I had planned initially to wrap the whole series up with these memoirs, but when the series continued on this long, I thought this would be the perfect week to celebrate these folks because they too do what they do because they love to promote and share books. So, please help me recognize them today.

First up is a lady you hear me mention regularly here on Jen's Book Thoughts. Most of us know Lesa Holstine as the wonderful blogger at Lesa's Book Critiques. But there's a blessed community of folks who know her as their Library Manager. She's forever organizing wonderful activities and events that celebrate the joys of reading, especially reading mystery books. And when she's not organizing them herself, she's off attending other ones or writing book reviews for mystery publications and websites. I find it especially fitting that Lesa even met her husband, Jim, at the library! These days Lesa and Jim call Arizona home, but Lesa's shared her love of books and the library with folks in both Florida and Ohio as well as the blog-o-sphere. In addition to her love of books, Lesa enjoys many sports and can often be found cheering on the Ohio State Buckeyes! Lesa is an integral part of the book community and especially the crime fiction community. It's a wonderful thing that she

Found life's passion in sharing books.

Lesa helps to spread the word about great crime fiction through her work in the library and on her blog. Jon Jordan and his wife Ruth help spread the word through CRIMESPREE Magazine. As co-publishers and authors of the magazine, they work to bring mystery lovers around the globe together. Jon also published an Anthony Award-nominated book called INTERROGATIONS. INTERROGATIONS is a collection of 25 interviews of people in the crime fiction community. Music, comic books, movies, and good tv are also on Jon's list of "good things in life." Jon says that sleep is optional but caffeine is not. That explains how he just keeps going and going and all because

I want everyone to read more.
Linda Brown, the assistant manager at The Mystery Bookstore in Los Angeles, helps us all do just that. Where would the crime fiction world be without enthusiastic book sellers like Linda? Not only is she a book seller, she's also a crime fiction fan. I know I feel reassured to know that I'm not the only one out doing the wide-eyed adoring fan bit. Need book recommendations? Linda's got plenty for you. Want to attend an event in L.A. but live in NYC? Linda will Tweet it for you. Gonna be in the L.A. area? I assure you that she and the entire staff of The Mystery Bookstore will make you feel right at home. Linda tells me that she's the mean one at home, but somehow I think her two cats, Lulu and Betty, may have Linda wrapped around their little paws.

Linda grew up moving from place to place since her father was in the military. After college she did some non-profit work and then about 15 years in the film industry before she discovered her calling in the mystery book world. Now she's firmly rooted in the crime fiction community, and I for one am glad to have her stability:

Took a while. Found my place.
In case you were unaware, this picture shows Linda moonlighting. When she isn't recommending books to customers and helping them feed their crime fiction addictions, she's Detective Linda in Robert Crais' CHASING DARKNESS! Get those bad guys, Detective Linda!

Most everyone who visits Jen's Book Thoughts regularly knows that I am a big fan of the audiobook as well as the printed book. I have now established some fairly regular narrators as my "favorites" much like I have the authors who are my favorites. So those audiobook narrators are essential to this industry for folks like me. And that is why I am absolutely over-the-mood giddy to introduce to you the man I would rate the greatest living audiobook narrator. He has recorded over 850 unabridged novels over the last 20 years and won 2 consecutive Audie Awards. George Guidall also spent 40 years in the theater and has appeared on television shows such as Law and Order and Spenser for Hire! George's narrations include the likes of CRIME AND PUNISHMENT, A WIDOW FOR ONE YEAR, and I KNOW THIS MUCH IS TRUE. He has also narrated the novels of Tony Hillerman, John Grisham, and Lillian Jackson Braun. But probably his most endearing works for me are his narrations of Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire series. Bringing together my favorite narrator and one of my favorite authors and series created an explosive result. And while George's memoir is

So many books, so little time

I'm especially glad he made time for the Walt Longmire series! I'm also humbled that he made time to share a memoir with us today. I hope that you will join me in acknowledging all of the contributions each of these individuals make not only to the crime fiction community but to the entire book community. Thank you Lesa, John, Linda and George for being a part of this project and representing the folks that we maybe have a tendency to forget play such a vital role in this world we all love.

See, I told you this week was extra-special! And I still have more! So hang in with me and check back here same time next week for more fun with memoirs! And make sure you take some time this week - if you haven't already - to visit your favorite book bloggers and show them your appreciation! Happy Book Blogger Appreciation Week, everyone!




P.S. - As a little side note, I forwarded a flyer about an event that George Guidall does for libraries, if any of the libraries in my area host George, can you be sure to let me know? I'll promote here, but mostly I want to come myself!!! And if you would like the flyer but I didn't send it to you, let me know and I'll forward you a copy.

7 comments:

Lesa September 16, 2009 at 7:15 AM  

Jen,

Thank you, again, for your Six Word Memoirs. You always do a wonderful job with them. I appreciate mine, but I enjoyed reading about all of your other favorite bloggers. Thanks, Jen. And, Happy BBAW!

Lesa
http://www.lesasbookcritiques.blgospot.com

Tim Hallinan September 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Great as always, Jen - more, more. (Six words!)

Anonymous September 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

Jen: What a great way to recognize the time and effort the folks, listed above, put in reading and reviewing books and then sharing their recommendations and expertise with the masses. Thanks for sharing.

L.J. Sellers September 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

Lesa is such a delightful person. Thanks for featuring her.

le0pard13 September 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

This has been a great addition to the Six Words series, Jen. All of these are great. But including Lesa and Linda (who I'm lucky enough to see from time-to-time in the Mystery Book Store), is a special treat. And Mr Guidall IS Walt Longmire! Great stuff, and thanks, Jen.

Lesa September 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

Thanks, again, Jen. And, I just wanted to tell you that I went to the graduation ceremony for AZ Leadership today (AZ Libraries), and two of the librarians, one from our system, and one from Tucson, told me I was their mentor. You know I love all of you. Thank you for making me think of a phrase that fit my life.

Lesa

Serena September 18, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

great spotlight among these writers and bloggers. I really enjoy these memoirs.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP