Friday, June 4, 2010

Books, Smarts, and Anthony Noms?

Yay! It's Friday! I have a long to-do list for this weekend, but plan to fit some quality reading time in on that list as well. I hope you've got some great reading material as well.

For those who have not yet seen them, the 2010 Anthony Award nominations have been posted. A lot of great writers and their works have been singled out for nominations.  I won't reproduce the list here, as it's been posted in many places already. You can go here to see all the nominees. For those that don't know the Anthony Awards are given out at Bouchercon. If you haven't had a chance to attend a Bouchercon, I strongly encourage you to check it out. This October it will be held in San Francisco and in 2011 Bouchercon will take place in St. Louis in September. My first experience last year was amazing and I simply can't wait to go back again this year.

In addition to the Anthony nominees, the Nero nominees have also come out. Congratulations go out to Brad Parks nominated for FACES OF THE GONE, Steve Hockensmith nominated for A CRACK IN THE LENS, and Charles Finch nominated for THE FLEET STREET MURDERS.

You don't have to try very hard to convince me of the validity of these studies in an article on Salon.com that discusses the value of having books in the house. Want your children to have an educational advantage? Have books in the house. Summer vacation is just starting for most kids, so kick it off right with a trip to the library. Nurture a love of the library in your children at a very young age and then keep feeding it. In my library, the summer reading programs start on Monday. They have programs for kids and adults. Sign up! And you need to model the behavior as well. Make time to read this summer! Read together. And most importantly make it a fun time.

I've taken part in the Buy Books for the Holidays program and I always give books when I have a gift to give. Have a baby shower to go to? For a colleague, I organized a collection of books from all the people we worked with. I made bookmarks for each person donating to sign and stick in their book and we created the babies' (twins) first library. I put all the books in a large laundry basket and there almost wasn't enough room. The twins' mom told me several times afterward how much she loved the library and that she was telling everyone about it.

Or how about a disadvantaged family? Anyone adopt families at the holidays with your church, office or family? Think about including books with the gifts. Last year my friend had a children's book drive and donated the books to the pediatric wing of the hospital that cared for her son. There are so many ways we can get books into the hands of our children. But start at home. Model the behavior, teach your children to be comfortable in a library and a book store, take interest in what they're reading and what they enjoy.

Let's celebrate reading EVERY DAY! Happy Reading!

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

3 comments:

AliRussellSmith June 4, 2010 at 8:31 PM  

Great ideas for reading! And here all I do is get a gift card for the book store! I encourage all parents to read to their children, and let them see YOU read as well! Thanks for your great book reccomendations. You haven't steered me wrong yet!

Pop Culture Nerd June 4, 2010 at 11:57 PM  

Jen, I think you singlehandedly keep the world reading with your boundless energy and goodwill. Thank you for all you do. I'll be reading this weekend for sure. In fact, gonna do some right now!

kathy d. June 5, 2010 at 1:03 AM  

Great ideas on giving books for all occasions to children, even upon birth.

I had a library card at age 3 and regard mine now as a treasure.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP