Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fun Surprises in My Mailbox

You know how a surprise in your mailbox always - well as long as it isn't a surprise bill - makes your day? Well, this week has been the week for fun surprises in my mailbox, and they truly got me through an exhausting, stressful week.  So I thought I'd share a few of them with you.

First of all is the new haiku collection from my friend Ginny and her co-author, Diane. I think I shared my last one with you here; it was called RESKU and they included poems about shelter dogs with a collection of the most beautiful pictures. This one is HORSEKU and the poems are so fun. These poetic woman went covered everything from zebras to unicorns in the horse family.



Here's a look inside the book, so you have some idea of how they set these up.



I have several animal-loving people on my Christmas list who will be getting one of these books for Christmas this year. I've also had several people ask me about them since I started showing off my RESKU book, so if you want any further info let me know and I'll get you in touch with Ginny.

My next prize wasn't so much a sur-prise because I knew it was coming. My friend David is a manager at MURDER BY THE BOOK in Houston. While I don't get to "see" him very often, I get to chat with him regularly on Twitter. And this is how I order books: "David, can you send me a copy of [fill in the blank]?" And he says, "sure Jen." Then, usually less than a week later the book(s) is in my mailbox. Well, I needed to get my GLASS RAINBOW (have you gotten yours?), and David had signed copies at his store, so I did my little ordering process and this time David said, "can I sell you another book?" O.k., those of you who know me, know this is a silly question, but I said, "oh, I'm sure you can." This is what he sold me:



All David told me was that it was a mystery set in a bookstore in Ireland. Yeah, I know, I'm a hard sell. Anyway, how in the world can you resist a book whose subtitle is "Murder, Mayhem & Damn Sexy Trousers"? I started reading the first few pages and I can tell this is going to be funny. I don't foresee it being totally awe-inspiring but rather completely entertaining. AND, how about this? The trousers? LEATHER! Let the "hemming leather pants" searches begin again! Ha!

MYSTERY MAN is a great example of the value of the indie bookstore. This is a UK publication and I probably would not have ever known about it without David's recommendation. What a treasure trove we have in our indie stores!

Next on my list of prizes in the mail this week:



This title rocks, this cover rocks and IT'S MOE PRAGER!! This bad boy comes out the beginning of October, and let me tell you how much I would love to be in New York for the book launch. Rest assured you will hear more about INNOCENT MONSTER and Reed Farrel Coleman on the blog as October approaches.

And last, and possibly most dear, is this prize:



This was the BIGGEST surprise of all. I had no idea it was coming until it showed up and the gifter caught me completely off guard, warming my heart immensely. I'm sure it's hard to see on this little picture, but the cover of the CD box is signed by Don Winslow. While this gift is amazingly wonderful, what is even more wonderful to me is the fact that my friend who sent it thought about me for no reason in particular. Aren't those just the greatest gifts ever? It was a reminder, when things seem overwhelming and discouraging, I am still beyond blessed in this lifetime.

I hope you had a week full of fun surprises, no matter how they were packaged. And I hope this week brings you even more!

Happy Reading.

9 comments:

bermudaonion July 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

I agree - nothing brightens my day like a book surprise! I hope you enjoy all of yours.

Mack July 25, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

I love Mystery Man and Day of the Jack Russell is equally good. You could produce an excellent reading list from the books and authors Bateman mentions in the course of the stories.

Chris July 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

David got me on Mystery Man as well, Jen, when I ordered Indian Country Noir from him. Then when hooked me with the arrival of Tomato Red, I found myself also ordering The Day of the Jack Russell. I mean, how could I not, when this is what lurks in my backyard?

http://tinyurl.com/2fhzhjq

Bernadette July 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

I have got Mystery Man next up on the TBR pile - I borrowed it from the library after seeing a comment about it from Mack (two comments above me) - isn't the book blogosphere wonderful?

Jen Forbus July 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

Mack, I KNOW! I've only read a few pages and already the name dropping! I love the Grisham signing. Hysterical!

Chris, ahhhhhhhhhh! I love them! They're awesome.

Bernadette - it sure is! :-)

Thanks Kathy! Hope you're getting some nice surprises too!

le0pard13 July 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

It sounds like things to buoy the spirit, Jen. I'm very happy it brought you some light and cheer, my friend. Enjoy.

Pop Culture Nerd July 26, 2010 at 12:26 AM  

What fun surprises in your mailbox, Jen! All I got this week were flyers notifying me bananas were on sale at the supermarket.

Hmm. I wonder who sent you Savages. Could it be that extremely generous person we know?

Naomi Johnson July 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

Michael is the bestest guy ever. I hope he won a fortune in Vega$!

Serena August 12, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

what a wonderful surprise in the mail!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP