Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Bouchercon Day 1

A week ago today kicked off my second Bouchercon and my first experience moderating a Bouchercon panel.

First of all, the weather was stunning and I felt as though my summer was being extended a few extra days. Thanks to Mother Nature for that little surprise gift.

I am happy to report that the panel went very well. For whatever reason, the room we were in did not have microphones, but all of the panelists adjusted well and projected for the room full of people in attendance. I heard a few different opinions from folks in the back of the room; some said they could hear just fine, others said they had some trouble. But that was the worst we had to deal with and I think that's pretty minor in the whole scheme of things.

Brad Parks, Roger Ellory, Hilary Davidson and Douglas Corleone talked about how their characters and stories come to life. They joked with each other and the audience. We had some great questions from the audience and a person who wanted to know the "magic tools" to writing a book. *sigh*

Thanks to the generosity of Lauren O'Brien, I have a video recording of the panel, and as soon as I get it all edited and ready, I'll share that with you, so you can experience the panel for yourselves. I also want to thank Kathy Ryan who is responsible for the photos from the panel.

Lauren and Kathy are the next part of the Bouchercon experience I wanted to mention. Meeting my "virtual" friends in real life. That's when you're assured that "virtual" friends and "imaginary" friends are not one in the same! So thanks to everyone who made sure they said "hi": Robin, Les, Stephen, Alex, Toby, Todd...I know I'm missing gads more so thanks to everyone. It's never enough time, is it?

In between panels I spent some time in the dealer room buying books and visiting with folks at the Crimespree/Bouchercon 2011 table. Stephen Jay Schwartz was there, as was Meg Gardiner, and my awesome panelist Roger Ellory.

The other panel I attended and monitored was the "Year of the Locusts: Books to Screen" panel. This panel was moderated by Kelli Stanley and included panelists Derek Haas, Paul Levine, Val McDermid and Alex Sokoloff. This was a fun, animated group. And as I mentioned in my top 10 list, if you have the chance to experience Val McDermid, don't miss out. She's energetic and colorful and witty. Pair her up with Paul Levine and it's an extra special treat!

The opening ceremonies were Thursday night and here the Macavity and Barry Awards were announced. TOWER by Ken Bruen and Reed Farrel Coleman walked away with a Macavity, as did Hank Phillippi Ryan. Jamie Freveletti and Bryan Gruley both took home Barry Awards.

Also at the opening ceremonies was Duncan, a.k.a. Jack Reacher. Duncan won Australia's Jack Reacher look alike contest, so he was present at Bouchercon. Since my good friend Judy was making friends with Duncan, she introduced me.

Of course every night at Bouchercon has to end with a trip to the hotel bar. It's always a great opportunity to just mingle and chat. Steve Hockensmith was in attendance and he even slipped me an arc of the upcoming Holmes on the Range book, WORLD'S GREATEST SLEUTH. It is one sharp looking book! I can't wait to dig into it.

So, this was Day One. The whole trip follows suit, so make sure you stop back for more posts on this most wonderful trip. In the meantime, though, you can head over to the Bouchercon 2011 site and register for next year's event in St. Louis. There's no better way to ensure you go then to make the commitment and register. Then just work on planning up to next September. It's a wonderful time. Don't wait any longer to experience it yourself! Plus, register before January 1st and get the added benefit of a $25 savings on the registration fee AND be entered into a drawing for free books!

5 comments:

Jenn's Bookshelves October 20, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

It looks like you had a blast!

kathy d. October 20, 2010 at 10:38 PM  

Thanks so much for getting the tape of your panel and posting it for your local readers when it's available.

Can't wait.

Lesa October 21, 2010 at 8:54 AM  

Thanks, Jen. I'm looking forward to your complete recap of BCon10. I know you had a great time.

Kathleen A. Ryan October 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

Hi Jen!
It was an absolute pleasure to meet you in person ~ and my honor to take photographs of your panel. It was a real treat, and as you say, a very animated panel and audience. I was so impressed...I took as many notes as I could, to extract the pearls of wisdom everyone had to share. I had a chance to chat briefly with Roger afterward ~ I had to buy A Quiet Belief in Angels after that woman sitting behind me raved about it! I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
I also plan to blog about my first Bcon experience, on my Cop to Mom blog & Women of Mystery blog. I started out already with The Ten Crime Novels You Must Read Before You Die, as suggested by Declan Hughes & John Connolly ~ another packed, animated audience and quite a lively discussion!
http://www.womenofmystery.net/2010/10/ten-crime-novels-you-must-read-before.html

Dorte H October 21, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

What about trying some magic toads-tools ;D

Some say that was what Ken Keesey did when he wrote that first chapter of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo´s Nest."

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP