Friday, December 24, 2010

2010 Wrap-Up Week: Goals for 2011

In preparation for this post, I was looking back over the one I did from last year. I sure did accomplish some fine things in 2009. And 2010 had it's share of accomplishments too.I just started book number 101, by the 70th unique author, and will likely finish at least 2 more this year. 42 of the authors were new to me; 48 were audiobooks. So this year's total books read is about 10% higher than last year; new authors is about 20% lower. Guess that has a tendency to happen when you're continually adding authors to your must-read list.

2010 brought the first theme week to Jen's Book Thoughts. And we included the first "World's Favorite Detective" tournament. This was successful thanks to the hard work of all the bloggers who participated and everyone who took time to check out their contributions. Thank you all!!

This was also the first year I had young readers guest post on the blog. That was exciting for me. I love to see and hear young people's excitement about books.

2010 saw a new season of memoirs from contribution crime fiction authors, as well as photos of authors reading for Crime Writers Caught Reading Crime month and Crime Writers Caught Recommending Crime for the Holidays. So many thanks to all the authors who have taken time to contribute to any of the projects on the blog! Your participating enriches everything.

2010 also lays claim to my first experience moderating a panel at Bouchercon and my first live interviews...in front of...PEOPLE! They were wonderful fun and I'm ready to have another go. Hopefully I'll have a chance in 2011.

The blog received a face lift this year and subsequently won an award during Book Blogger Appreciation Week. Many thanks for all the support and encouragement!

The list of authors who have subjected themselves to interviews for the blog has grown considerably. And I'm going to get my act together and extend that list even further.

I began committing Thursdays to audiobooks. Given that nearly half of what I've read this year has been on audio, I think that's appropriate and will continue doing so; hopefully including more narrator interviews, memes and other fun activities.

I think that's a pretty accurate overview of 2010 here. So what do I want for 2011? The mission of this blog has always been to promote crime fiction as a whole. To share great books and authors with readers, to make a little dent in dispelling myths about the genre, etc. For me to continue working on that objective, I always hope to increase readers, to increase interaction with readers, to grow myself as a reader by experiencing new authors and works and sharing them. So, my goals for 2011 include:
  • The second annual theme week, which will focus on amateur sleuths. This won't be confined to traditional mysteries; protagonists who are journalists, writers, sports agents, etc. will be included. More information will come in the new year and we'll host that week in April again.

  • The first annual Criminal Plots reading challenge. If you haven't signed up, I encourage you to. It isn't a large commitment of time, and even if you're not typically a "crime fiction" reader, it's a good chance to stick your toe in the genre and check it out a bit. Maybe you'll find something you didn't expect! In addition, I'm challenging myself in two other challenges: What's in a Name 4 and the 2011 Audiobook Challenge. And I'm contemplating a third: the Edgar Awards reading challenge as well.

  • I mentioned continuing audiobook Thursdays and working on recruiting more interviews. And hopefully more video interviews as well. A note to authors: interviews are by invitation, please do not send requests for them as I require that I've read your work before I request an interview.

  • I plan to attend my first Love is Murder convention. I'll most definitely return to Bouchercon and Muskego. And a very exciting addition: I'll be a panelist at the Book Bloggers Convention to represent crime fiction on a panel of blogging for a genre-specific audience. Very cool!

  • I will also continue working freelance with Macmillan on their social media. The main community website for that will be live in 2011, so hopefully that will open more opportunities to share the crime fiction love.

  • I typically don't like to set number goals. I choose to enjoy my books and not worry about whether I'm meeting numbers. However, I will set a goal of at least 40 new-to-me authors again for 2011. There are plenty more out there for me to discover. 40 shouldn't be a difficult goal.

  • And of high priority is getting all the info in the sidebars cleaned up and updated. Boy did I ever fall behind on that! For shame!
So, now I'd like to get some feedback from you. What have you liked? What have you not been so thrilled with and opted to pass over? I'm trying to brainstorm more fun posts to do with video, with author involvement, with other bloggers. Tell me what you'd like to see! Of course I can't make promises, but knowing what readers are interested in will help me with my mission of getting folks involved with the genre and enjoying it. And even more importantly, coming back to it! So, share your ideas. I'm listening!

To those who are celebrating tomorrow, I wish you a very merry Christmas. I'll be back here before the new year, but if you aren't then enjoy the New Year festivities and be safe. We have a lot of reading and discussing to do in 2011! Happy New Year! Happy Reading!!

6 comments:

Beth F December 24, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

You had an awesome year! So many excited new projects. I'm looking forward to both your new reading challenge and your theme week.

Thanks so much for helping to make Audiobook Jukebox a success by contributing your reviews.

Have a super happy holiday.

kathy d. December 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

I liked all of it! The posts have gotten me to put new authors to me on my TBR lists, and to think about new genres of reading.

All of your ideas for the website were very creative and interesting, pulling me into reading about authors I don't know about, and tempting me to read their books--or at least about them.

It's all about book appreciation and expanding reading and thinking horizons. It did that for me.

I hope you have more youth book reviewers. Those were wonderful.

And, thanks for your favorite books of 2010, and the others you were honest about in your comments.

And, the humor is good, too.

Have fun and good holidays. There's the excitement of new books coming in 2011...what will they be? Much to ponder.

Teresa December 24, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

Thank you for joining the Audio Book Challenge and Welcome! It looks like you've accomplished a lot in 2010. I'm looking forward to seeing what 2011 brings.

Jen Forbus December 24, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

Thank YOU for putting Auidiobook Jukebox together Candace! I know you put a lot of work into it on a regular basis! What a great resource!

Happy Holidays!

Jen Forbus December 24, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

Kathy! You are so wonderful. I look forward to your visits and your comments. And today's comment could not have been a greater holiday gift to me.

Hope 2011 is full of wonderful blessings for you! I look forward to another year of talking books with you.

Kathy d. December 27, 2010 at 7:43 AM  

We won't discuss the fact that this blog is making my bad habits worse!

I read an Inspector Singh book, a good mystery that takes place in Mayalsia, quite well done.

Then I went to bed, but made a mistake: I opened up Gregg Hurwitz's The Crime Writer, just for a few minutes, and to see what it was like. Well! Hours later, I haven't gone to bed (luckily we're all snowed in here).

This is my problem; it's been so since I was 11 and hid under the covers with a book and a flashlight, and this is why I got in trouble in high school--because I'd stay up for hours reading Nero Wolfe, or Hercule Poiron or Sherlock Holmes--or John Steinbeck, Upton Sinclair, Theodore Dreiser (there must have been some women writers in here--I think Dorothy Sayers and Josephine Tey).

Anyway, the attack of the bad habit has reappeared--whenever I read a thriller. I must join a 12-step program to get over this.

Now all day instead of doing laundry, cleaning up papers and floors, I will be pulled to the book, like quicksand.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP