Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Nineteenth Century

Now we get into my realm of reading. This list is much healthier than the first, so here we go. I've read:

Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen)
Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
Northanger Abby (Jane Austen)
Frankenstein (Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley)
The Fall of the House of Usher (Edgar Allen Poe)
A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens)
The Pit and the Pendulum (Edgar Allen Poe)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
The Scarlet Letter (Nathanial Hawthorne)
Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe)
Walden (Henry David Thoreau)
Hard Times (Charles Dickens)
Madame Bovary (Gustave Flaubert)
A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)
Middlemarch (George Eliot)
The Death of Ivan Ilyich (Leo Tolsto)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
The Mayor of Casterbridge (Thomas Hardy)
The Yellow Wallpaper (Charlotte Perkins Gilman)

I also have a bunch I'd still like to read. They are:
Oliver Twist, The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby, Martin Chuzzlewit, and David Copperfield (all by Dickens), Silas Marner (George Eliot), Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy), The Advetures of Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle).

I had at one time started The Three Musketeers, but I think I have been so conditioned by Hollywood with that story that I couldn't ever get into it enough to finish it. And had I been constructing the list, there are probably a few more Civil War-era books I would have included.

Happy Reading!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP