Friday, July 4, 2008

Sliver of Truth - Lisa Unger

**Warning: If you intend to read Beautiful Lies, this review of Sliver of Truth with contain information that will end up being spoilers for Beautiful Lies. Read Beautiful Lies first.**



Ridley Jones is back in Lisa Unger's second book, Sliver of Truth. When the FBI show up and want to see her personal photographs, she thinks they are back about Project: Rescue. But what they are really back about is the shadow lurking in all of her photographs. Could that really be her "Uncle" Max, the man she learned was her biological father? No, she was sure it couldn't be him because she had spread his ashes after his death. Surely there was another explanation, and she needed to find out what it was so that all of these people would quit pursuing her to get to Max.



As with Beautiful Lies, this book is full of wonderful twists and turns in the plot. And Unger does a fantastic job of keeping the storyline interlaced with that from Beautiful Lies. After all, how many people's lives are a series of short stories? Not many; most people's life events interconnect. I did find myself asking a few questions about the surprise turns that take place in this novel in relation to how they fit in Beautiful Lies, but definitely nothing enough to ruin the book.



One of my favorite things about Unger's writing is her voice. I love that Ridley is supposed to be talking to the reader. There were several points in the book (I listened on audio on my mp3 player) where I found myself asking a question about the plot or something, and it was as if Ridley knew what I was thinking because she would immediately address the question I had. One point specifically that I remember is when I thought, "geez, this poor woman sure has to go through an awful lot for one lifetime." And right then Ridley says, "does this really happen to people?" I chuckled to myself. It's as if Unger's admitting, "yes, this is a little 'out there' isn't it? But it COULD happen; you never know."



The major new character in this novel is Dillon Grace, an FBI agent. The way Unger sets up his character leaves the reader wondering the entire novel if he is legit or not. But, despite my caution in warming up to him, I did like his character. I liked how his British accent came and went depending on his stress level. Ann Marie Lee, the narrator, did a great job interjecting those changes.



Another great effort from Lisa Unger. Her talent with suspense is superb in these two books. She's put Ridley through a lot in two books, though. I don't know if Ridley would be able to withstand another one!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP