Wednesday, November 12, 2008

More on Books for Gifts

Notice my big, pretty button over there in my sidebar? There's a movement going on to encourage folks to buy books as gifts this holiday season. I don't need prompting to do this, of course. And to be honest with you, I don't buy books as gifts to "help the industry." Sorry guys. I buy books because I believe they are wonderful gifts. If you receive a book from me, it's a big deal. You know I think very highly of you to bestow such a treasure on you.

Here's an even bigger reason I think we should consider giving books as gifts: we need to remember that reading itself is a gift. In this country too many of us take that for granted. And sadly for many, reading is a difficult task. We need to start valuing the act of reading again. It gives us the power and freedom to choose our destinies. It gives us entertainment. We can travel to worlds we wouldn't otherwise experience. We can even touch base with our imaginations. Most of us buried those long ago. Reading enlightens us, educates us. It can even bring us together. One of the greatest joys in my life is reading with my niece and nephew. Another is sharing my reading experiences with all of you!

There are so many people in countries less fortunate than ours who would give anything to be able to learn to read. Let's remember how priceless the ability to read is and nurture that gift!

Over at Books for the Holidays they have some book suggestions for people on your gift lists. I, thought what I would do is give you my list of books that are still in contention for my Top 10 reads of 2008. I, of course, will still have to narrow this list down, but these books I thought were wonderful and would therefore recommend them for mystery fans. Each is linked to the review I did for the book. Here you go:


I'm also reading a book right now called Shadow of the Wind. It is written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I think this will also be a contender for my top 10. It'll be hard to whittle my list down to 10; it's been such a great reading year.

But, this is just from my reading experience. What can YOU guys add to this list based on what YOU'VE read? Together lets create a great list of options for anyone looking for ideas for the mystery lover!

Happy Reading!!


2 comments:

Timothy Hallinan November 13, 2008 at 1:43 AM  

Great list, Jen, and thanks so much for including me on it.

I'd add THE FORGER'S SPELL by Edward Dolnick, the stranger-than-fiction story of Han Van Meegeren, a mediocre Dutch painter who used the gullibility of the Nazis (especially Goering) to earn a fortune painting "Vermeers" -- just a great book. I'd also think about Steig Larsson's THE GIRL WITH THE GOLDEN TATTOO and James Lee Burke's THE TIN ROOF BLOWDOWN, and --not a thriller, but a beautiful book, Francine Prose's GOLDENGROVE.

Tim

Anonymous November 13, 2008 at 8:58 PM  

Jen, books seem like the best idea. I haven't given a lot of books the last few years, so I should start emphasizing the value and power of reading to the small ones in the family. Thanks for the reminder.

I agree with Tim, on THE TIN ROOF BLOWDOWN, that is a great book. I'm not passing judgment on the others, I haven't read them, but THE FORGER'S SPELL sounds intriguing.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP