Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Michael Stanley Pays Tribute to Poe

So, I was tickled to find out today that the Baltimore Sun would like to print a comment I left on their Read Street blog in the paper on Sunday. They asked folks to comment on what Barack Obama's inauguration means to them. They made a note that they were looking to publish some of the comments, but I wasn't really expecting for that to happen, I simply wanted to leave my thoughts on the subject since it is important to me. Then when Dave Rosenthal contacted me today, I was taken aback. I think more than anything I am elated that my thoughts on this monumental event will be recorded somewhere in history.

AND THEN, I made another Twitter botch - I tweeted, "I'm ticked that the Baltimore Sun wants to print my comments about our new president." Yeah! Way to go, Jen! Amazing how much a simple typo like that can change the whole meaning of a statement, huh? So, I corrected myself. I'm tickled...tickled...tickled. Thank you Read Street and the Baltimore Sun!

I also have to share with you that Read Street is recognizing Poe's birthday this week. And in recognition they have several people guest blogging, including Michael Sears and Stan Trollip - you know the writing team of Michael Stanley (too cool). You can go here to check it out. I'm giving you the main link because there are several guest bloggers you can check out, but also sandwiched in between is a post on the Inauguration Poem. Their post is much kinder than mine, so I wanted to provide you with that viewpoint as well. Just because I didn't care for it doesn't mean that everyone didn't or that there's anything wrong with the poem. It just didn't strike that "right chord" with me. They also brought up a point that I wondered about personally. They mentioned that she had the toughest time slot...right behind Obama's speech. Would I maybe have liked the poem more had it not followed the emotional, dramatic, powerful speech of my new president? I'll have to go back and check the poem out again later. Maybe my view of it will be different if I read it and it isn't following such a magnificent speech.

I'll leave you tonight with this link. It is a book trailer for a children's book called Change Has Come. It looks like it is a beautiful book; I just wonder why they didn't wait until after the inauguration to put it together. Regardless, enjoy!


3 comments:

Corey Wilde January 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

Congrats on the notoriety, Jen, and will they publish your blog URL when they publish your comment?

le0pard13 January 22, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Congratulations, Jen. I see you are on their blogroll, as well.

Yes, I agree that Ms. Alexander had an impossible job following Obama. Also, she would have been equally hard pressed to come close Maya Angelou's inaugural poem from 1992.

Jen Forbus January 23, 2009 at 6:14 AM  

Thanks guys! No Corey, I don't think they're going to include the URL, although as Michael mentioned they do have my link on their blogroll over there.

And you're right Corey. I was kind of expecting the greatness of Maya Angelou on Tuesday. Which is not to demean Alexander in any way. She's obviously a talented writer, but I've never been the biggest poetry fan to begin with, so it has to really hit a chord with me to resonant, know what I mean?

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP