Thursday, February 5, 2009

Love My Libraries

Today I stopped at two libraries on my way home...two! And I thought, I'm overdue for a blog on my love of the library. As it so happens...at least according to my library's web site...it's Library Lovers' month. I never knew there was such a thing!

These days, more and more people are discovering a love for their local libraries. I remember when I fell in love with MY library. It was when I was in elementary school during the summers! My library had this wonderful program for summer reading. They still have a wonderful summer reading program, and even one for adults. They may have had one for adults when I was younger, but I wouldn't have know. I was too consumed with my own program. I discovered some wonderful books through that program. And what could be better than being REWARDED for doing something I loved?

Much has changed since I was in elementary school. You don't look up books in a card catalog anymore. I used the card catalog until they took the darned thing out of the building! I resisted the computers, mostly because I didn't understand them when they first were installed - I don't think I could run a DOS program to this day come to think of it. I understood the card catalog, though. Now I can access those computers and find everything I'm looking for. I even request and renew my materials online from home. Who'd a thunk?

Another change is the fact that the Elyria system has gone from one building (when I was in elementary school) to FIVE (today)! The most recent was built as a partnership program with the community college. How great is that? Two public entities working together to bring such a great resource for everyone!

I also remember in high school when they were first starting to loan videos. VHS videos! Today, of course, they're loaning DVDs and they loan them for free! It wasn't always free. You use to be able to borrow books on cassette tape; I think there are some you can still borrow on tape, but most are now available on CD AND you can even get MP3 recordings and ebooks. So many changes. The library has grown and evolved, just as every living entity does.

Lesa, one of my most favorite librarians and bloggers, over at Lesa's Book Critiques has been asking folks about their library loot. And I mentioned that I stopped at two libraries on the way home. So, I can share with you that I picked up an audio book on CD, a regular print book, and a music CD. So much loot - and you can't beat the price!

Alright, so it's Library Lovers' month. On my library's website, they say that you can show your love for your library by:

1. visiting often
2. checking out the bookmobile
3. try something new the next time you're in (not much I haven't tried, but I'll check)
4. ask a librarian to recommend another author like one you know you enjoy now
5. use their computers
6. access their website
7. attend an event

You can also contribute to and promote your libraries in various ways. I do all these things quite regularly, but the one thing I make an extra special effort to do? Smile and thank my librarians whenever I'm in. Without them, there would be no libraries. That's a horrible thought to me, but our book club is about to read THE CAMEL BOOKMOBILE, so I'll look forward to being reminded how very, very lucky I am to have such a great library system.

Now it's your turn! How do YOU love YOUR library?


4 comments:

Corey Wilde February 5, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

I love my library to the point of abuse. I stopped by there today to return two books. I checked out three more, two of which I reserved online. And I already had another half-dozen titles checked out, just waiting their turn. I have a meeting tomorrow at one of the branch locations, and a friend of a friend has a display of painted feathers (I think that's what they told me) at another branch. I use a number of the online services such as Heritage Quest and ancestry.com, and the newspaper archives. I used to use the newspaper microfilm at the main library, but spinning through those films actually makes me motion sick. Audio books, cds, dvds, yep, I've used them all at one time or another.

And if that isn't bad enough, I also have a card for the Upper Arlington library system. Their FOL sales are super, and they have so many activities besides those that are strictly for children.

I love me some library.

le0pard13 February 6, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

Both you and Corey are shaming me - badly. I admit that I haven't been in a library for about a decade or two. I'll use the excuse that I've been using the computer (in various ways) to obtain my reading/listening material. But, it is a poor one. Since I drove my wife to the airport this morning for her flight to visit sick relatives in Portland, OR, I think I'll take me (and the kids) to the library tomorrow. Let's see if I get struck by lightning...

Lesa February 12, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

What a great post, Jen! And, not just because you mentioned me (grin). I'm glad it was picked up for syndication. And, you moved someone to go back to the library. Well done!

Anonymous February 12, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

Congratulations again, Jen, on getting this post picked up for syndication. I'm so excited on your behalf!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP