Friday, May 1, 2009

A Few Tidbits on Friday

Happy Friday everyone! The Edgars were announced last night at the banquet. For a recap of the winners, you can check out Lesa's blog. Congrats to all the winners, with a special congrats to Jeff Parker. His short story was the only winner I was familiar with. And I did enjoy that short from THE BLUE RELIGION. I watched the winners come through on Sarah Weinman's Twitter tweets for awhile last night, but I also had book club. At book club, I offered up Les Roberts' PEPPER PIKE (among a few others) and that's what we're reading for next month. I've had this book sitting on my shelf for quite some time and am glad we're reading it because I'm confident I'm going to love it. I just hope the other members of the group enjoy it as well.

Wanted to remind everyone that today is BUY INDIE DAY. Joe Finder initiated the idea and has been spreading the word through Twitter and Facebook. If you're like me and don't have a local indie to take advantage of, here are some great ones you could place an order with today:

The Mystery Lovers Bookshop

Mystery Bookstore in Westwood

Foul Play

I've been to all three of these bookstores and they are all wonderful. The folks there are just outstanding and willing to help you with whatever your mystery needs might be. And if it's not mystery you're looking for, they can still help you out with a special order.

Oh what to buy today? What to buy? I'm thinking that NIGHT AT THE OPERATION (Jeff Cohen) might be a good choice for me, but there's also OUT COLD (Tom Schreck) that just came out. THE SUREST POISON (Chester Campbell) is available now. BLACK OUT (Lisa Unger) is out in paperback now. Did you have a chance to read Koryta's L.A. Book Prize winner, ENVY THE NIGHT? I could probably go on forever...got a good recommendation of a book to buy for "Buy Indie Day"? Leave it in the comments today. Share your suggestions!

I'll be announcing the winner in the Hatchett THE PROSECUTION RESTS contest soon. And then I'll start reviews of the books I read on vacation. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Happy Reading!!


3 comments:

le0pard13 May 1, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

Great suggestion. I think I'm going to pick up Envy the Night. Thanks, Jen.

Anonymous May 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

I stopped up at Foul Play today, but they were closed due to a family emergency.

Chester Campbell May 2, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

Thanks for mentioning The Surest Poison, Jen. It won't be on the shelf but they can order it for you.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP