Monday, May 11, 2009

The Monday Mystery Backlist Kick-off!

I was reading where Harper is going to be highlighting backlist titles in a blog and I thought, "what a fabulous idea." So, I'm stealing it! Shhh, don't tell!

This is going to be my first (hopefully) of a regular series of posts. Each week I'll post a backlist mystery title. I'm also hoping to tap other mystery readers, writers, book sellers, etc., to submit their favorite backlist titles. It won't be an overall review, it will just be the title, a short summary and publication information so you can find the book if you're interested in reading it. The book simply has to be classified in the mystery genre and have been out for at least one year. I hope you'll enjoy these posts and find some great reading material!

O.k., so the first book. Oh, what to choose. I waffled back and forth, "should I pick something I've already read or something on my TBR list?" There are so many great authors to pick from, so many great books. So, I decided on something from my TBR list because I figured anything I've reviewed in the last year or so, you can find easily enough. Therefore, the first book of Monday Mystery Backlist is:

SLAY RIDE by Chris Grabenstein.

SLAY RIDE is the first book in Grabenstein's Christopher Miller series. Christopher Miller is a fifty-year-old FBI agent. Scott Wilkinson is a young advertising executive. In SLAY RIDE, Miller's life becomes entwined with Wilkinson's when Scott merely calls the car company to complain about the terrifying ride to the airport he experienced in Lincoln Town Car No. 716. This may be a holiday like no other for both men.

You can go here to get a little taste of SLAY RIDE, the first three chapters.

"SLAY RIDE is a bit different than Grabenstein's series with the amusement park ride names. It's darker and a bit more of a thriller. It's also wonderful.... This book will have you clutching the arms of your chair while you read and leave you exhausted from the tension. Truly great reading from Anthony Winner Grabenstein." —Jon Jordan, Crimespree Magazine

SLAY RIDE is published by Carrol & Graf, copyright 2006.


6 comments:

Corey Wilde May 11, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

I like the idea, especially since I have a lot of older books in the TBr stack to read. Have you thought about how you want to handle submissions?

Jen Forbus May 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

I'm so glad you asked, Corey! Because I was gonna be knocking on your door if you didn't! I will take any recommendations as long as they meet the backlist requirements listed.

You can e-mail them to me: title, author, summary, publication info. If you have a book jacket pic, that's great, otherwise I'll scrounge and find them. Submitters will receive recognition for their book suggestions - so if you want your own mug posted along with it, send the pic as well! If you have a website or blog, I'll include the link.

If authors would like to submit ideas, I gladly welcome them, BUT it can't be their own book. You have to submit a title by another author.

If you have any questions, e-mail me. I'm looking forward to what people have to recommend. I want to make this a great variety of mystery books!

Corey Wilde May 11, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

Okay, sounds good. You'll probably be swamped with titles from all your readers, so I hope you have room in your schedule for this. I'll be thinking about something to submit to you by this weekend.

le0pard13 May 11, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

Wonderful concept, Jen. I'll be following to see what shows up.

Jen Forbus May 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Michael, you better be thinking about what you're going to submit! ;) I'm going to be knocking on YOUR door, too!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea May 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

I just came across your blog by accident; it's a great one. I LOVED Sly Ride when I read it!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP