Thursday, June 18, 2009

Oprah Ain't Got Nothin' On Me!

Wow! How did it get to be Thursday already? And the 18th of June? This month has just been full of excitement. Coming up Saturday, I'll be sharing the excitement of my trip to see the amazing writing duo Michael Stanley. Tomorrow, though, Chris Grabenstein has been kind enough to provide me with a short break, so I can get caught up a tad bit. He'll be guest blogging about "The Boss" tomorrow. I'm so excited to hear what Chris has to say about Springsteen's influence on both him and my beloved John Ceepak. Speaking of which, MIND SCRAMBLER comes out on Tuesday. So in conjunction with Chris's guest post, we'll start a giveaway for an ARC copy of MIND SCRAMBLER. Don't miss out on your chance at that beauty! Check back tomorrow.

So, on to the title of this post. Surprise, surprise, Oprah has some book lists out. If you're interested in her 25 reads for summer, you can find those here. None are on my list to read anytime in the next decade. She also has a list of "Unputdownable Mysteries." O.k., first of all, "unputdownable"? Who's writing this? They couldn't come up with something better than "unputdownable"? Here's the list:

The Complete Ripley Novels - Patricia Highsmith
The Long Fall - Walter Mosley
Nobody Move - Denis Johnson
The Grift - Debra Ginsberg
Not in the Flesh - Ruth Rendell
What Was Lost - Catherine O'Flynn
Trauma - Patrick McGrath
Go With Me - Catle Freeman, Jr.
Talk, Talk - T.C. Boyle
Lulu in Marrakech - Diane Johnson
Yes, My Darling Daughter - Margaret Leroy


I'm sure that there are folks out there who will eat this list up. This list, however, does contain a book I have plans to read - THE LONG FALL. Aside from that, I doubt very seriously that I'll make time for any of the others. But, I decided that I would counter Oprah with my own list. I'll stick to eleven titles as she did, and I'll include titles up through August releases (not sure what Oprah's date requirement was). However, I'll start with a catchier title. I give you:

Jen's 2009 Crime Fiction Titles to Covet

THE DARK HORSE - Craig Johnson
MIND SCRAMBLER - Chris Grabenstein
THE SECOND DEATH OF GOODLUCK TINUBU - Michael Stanley
BREATHING WATER - Timothy Hallinan
RAIN GODS - James Lee Burke
TRUST NO ONE - Gregg Hurwitz
A RULE AGAINST MURDER - Louise Penny
THE BIG DIRT NAP - Rosemary Harris
THE SILENT HOUR - Michael Koryta
OUT COLD - Tom Schreck
KILLER KEEPSAKES - Jane Cleland


O.k., so a few I have read and are among my favorites so far for this year and the rest are ones I will definitely read before the year's out. Of course I have a slew of others that should be on the list as well, but I said I'd keep it to 11. Michael Lister, Robin Burcell and Libby Fischer Hellman all have books coming out that I'm coveting as well, but those won't be out until after August. They'll have to be on my list for fall reading, huh? But this is my idea of a "mystery reading list." How about you? Do you want to read any from Oprah's list? What would be on YOUR list? Time to sound off...what would you choose?

9 comments:

Chris Grabenstein June 18, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

An ARC? Heavens forfend. The hard cover is so much nicer (the interior design guys did a great job) that I will send you one to send to your winner! I can personalize it, too!

Jen Forbus June 18, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

You are the best, Chris!!

Serena June 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

I had no idea that Oprah had a mystery specific list?! I wonder who actually chooses the books on the list though...does she read all those...I doubt it.

Serena June 18, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

I also wanted to point out that Oprah's 25 summer reads includes a poetry book by Pinsky and poems from the women's movement. I'm amazed!

Lori L June 18, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

Although I picked up on clearance at my local used book store one book on Oprah's list, Talk, Talk by T.C. Boyle, that's probably the only one I'd go out of my way to read. I'll take you list of recommendations over hers any day!

Bev June 18, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

Love the title of this post! I so agree with you about Oprah's choices...they never make my reading lists either.
Thanks for making me laugh ... "unputdownable"...I had to look twice.

Jen Forbus June 18, 2009 at 8:16 PM  

You guys are so much fun! Thanks for dropping by!

Corey Wilde June 18, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

The day I take book recs from Oprah, just place a tattered Ken Bruen book in my hands and unplug my machine so I can die happy.

PORTALite Studios June 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM  

Thanks Jen, for the info! I happen to worship Oprah. I even painted her some time ago: http://portalite.blogspot.com/2007/04/operah-winfrey-portrait.html

Regards,
Eugene
http://portalite.blogspot.com

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP