Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Pretty Good Week

How was everyone's week? I had a pretty good week here. I didn't post as much as I did throughout most of June, but I was reading and working on things for future posts.

I knew this was a good week when I had one colleague say in a meeting, "I've been tired this week because Jen is giving me books that keep me up until 1:30." And then another colleague emailed me with the subject line "Durn ya!" He was writing to scold me and inform me that he already has all his bookshelves filled, but now that he's started reading Robert Crais, he has to find more room for those books that he must now hunt down and buy. And a third colleague returned the second book I loaned him and is now ready for a third. I'm hoping to have the whole company converted by the end of the year! Just kidding. I love when people enjoy the book as much as I do!

The sky here in Lorain, Ohio, has been making an awful racket this morning and my dogs are none too happy about it. So, while we muster through this thunder storm, I'll share some online findings from this week.

First, if you haven't heard about this yet, you may want to check it out. The first ever virtual mystery conference! I'm already registered. Hope many of you will join me and help make this a big to-do!

And I HAVE to have this shirt!

If you're interested in the new book SIX SUSPECTS by Vikas Swarup (SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE), you can enter to win a copy from St. Martin's here.

And finally, if you remember a couple months ago I attended the Lorain County Young Author's Program. I think I mentioned then that I had participated in the same program when I was in school. Well, my mother found my books from back then. They are proof of why I did not attempt a literary career. I do much better appreciating than writing. But one of my colleagues who looked at them said she couldn't get over how much care I took in naming my characters. I guess even at age 10 character was important to me!

When we made our books, we didn't have all the fancy ways to put them together like they do now. We used swatches from wall paper books to design our book covers. And before anyone says anything, I have no sense of style or design NOW, let alone when I was 10-13!

This was from my very first book at age 10. Don't you love my pencil illustrations? All the typing credit goes to my mother who typed it on an old word processor. We didn't have a computer then.



And this was from the last one. By this book, I had wised up and realized that drawing would never be a future career for me. So I used photos for my illustrations.

It was rather humorous to read back through them. Even at age 10, though, I loved and cherished books. That hasn't changed to this day. I simply hope that I can pass that love on to many others.

Happy reading everyone!


3 comments:

Anonymous July 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Jen, thanks so much for the heads-up about the virtual mystery con. How fun! I've registered and am looking forward to it!

Serena July 14, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Have a great time at the virtual mystery conference...I love that t-shirt and now want one myself!

Also, I love those little books...they are adorable.

Corey Wilde July 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM  

Your book covers are charming. I wish I'd had access to that program when I was a wee'un.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP