Thursday, September 3, 2009

Whew, What a Week

It's been a rather wild week my way, but I think the major obligations are now behind me and it'll start to be a little calmer going into the long weekend. I'm so looking forward to the extra day off this weekend!


But, I did want to take a quick couple minutes and share a few odds and ends with you. I've been reading a lot of blogs this week for various reasons, but seems like the more I read, the more I have to comment on. So here are some tidbits:


Alafair Burke has joined the clan over at Murderati. She'll be blogging every other Monday, and here is her first post with them. And it took me almost a blasted month to get over and finally comment on her very nice video interview she did with her papa, James Lee Burke. So, probably most of you have seen it already, but in case you didn't, it's definitely worth checking out - note, I cannot link to just that post, but here's Alafair's blog with a bunch of great posts worth reading; the interview is August 10th. Also, Alafair is looking for anyone who might have an in with Ellen Degeneres. She'd like Ellen to read her new book. Anyone know Ellen?

Over at The Outfit, Libby Hellmann got folks talking about first lines of books earlier this week. I'm so hooked on this now, I've decided that all my reviews will now include the first lines of the books. Audios may be an exception on occasion, but I'm still going to try to include those, too. I have always appreciated a good hook, but I never really thought about it as focused as I did after reading Libby's post. So cool!! Also, you can get a free short story of Libby's on audio over at Sniplits. I think she's featured through Tuesday (Sept. 8), so if you're interested, you'll probably want to get over there soon.


Also over at The Outfit, Sean Chercover is talking about the release of TRIGGER CITY in paperback. He noted that there's a new scene in the paper version that wasn't in the hardcover version. All you die-hards may have to go get a second copy now! :)


I've already discussed on here how completed addicted I am to 7 Criminal Minds. I love how each week the writers all respond to the same question. Makes me feel bad for Gabi at the end of the week, but she's holdin' her own over there. I also love, love, love each of the authors writing over there. They are so incredibly talented. I can assure you, you will hear more about each of them from me here because I will definitely be following their writing careers. This week's question absolutely cracks me up. They are throwing protagonists into a boxing ring together. I encourage you all to go over and have a look at what they are coming up with. It's priceless.


I also get the incredible honor of sharing my surprise from 7 Criminals Minds. On Monday, in CJ's post, the writers gave me this Kreativ Blogger Award. I was completely caught off guard and astounded. I am beyond humbled because I admire all of them so much. It really is a very special acknowledgement and means a tremendous amount to me. So, I thank them from the bottom of my heart. Criminal Minds: you guys are wonderful!!



Last blog I'm going to recommend you check out today is The Lipstick Chronicles. Gregg Hurwitz was the guest blogger over there on Monday for the kick-off of their "Manly Monday" post. He's a stitch. When I asked him if they required him to wear lipstick to do the post, he replied (via Twitter) "alas, yes." He's traveling to New Zealand for a book conference there, but in the meantime, you can read about his restaurant research here.

Don't forget, if you're interested in entering the Watery Grave Invitational short story contest, the entry period is right now. Corey is hosting this at The Drowning Machine. Don't delay.

And also don't forget to get your entries in for my contest to win a copy of THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE. Details are here.


O.k., so that's all the wonderful stuff I've been reading on blogs this week. Something I want to share with you because it isn't so wonderful, but made me laugh anyway:


--a blogger who said "no ifs, ands, or butts about it." Yeah! We're actually using conjunctions here, not anatomical parts! Oy!


And I've been reading a number of reviews as well this past week. You all have permission to shake me until my teeth rattle if I ever say "this character was so fleshed out..." Or anything remotely connected to the word "fleshed." I cannot tell you how many times I've read that statement in the last week. And I'm sure it's a personal bias, but I thought it sounded ridiculous every time I read it. It now ranks right up there with "unputdownable." O.k., I'm done being catty. The Criminal Minds are going to revoke my award!


Finally, I want to tell you about two things I won this week. First, I won a Kathy Reichs prize pack on Twitter from Scribner Books. Very cool. Not only did I get a copy of 206 BONES in hardcover, but I also got a nice Trade paper copy of BONES TO ASHES and a mousepad from the television show. I can look at David every day at work now. *Sigh* ;-)


And today I came home to find out I had won a contest from St. Martin's for an audiobook of Chelsea Cain's HEARTSICK. Excellent. Love to get audiobooks since I usually can't afford to buy them new. Very cool.


I'm behind again on my reviews. I apologize. I'm hoping to get caught up at least a little this weekend. I'm about to finish the upcoming Duffy Dombrowski OUT COLD, so you'll hear about this one soon. Suffice it to say that despite this being one of the busiest weeks of my entire year, I've finished this one in record time. It is hysterical! It is fun! And it is really a rather thought-provoking book. I just adore Tom Schreck's style. But, I'll save it for the review!


Very quickly, I'd also like to extend some birthday wishes. Two outstanding crime fiction authors share Sept. 2nd as their birthday: the aforementioned Tom Schreck and the creator of my beloved John Ceepak, Chris Grabenstein. Happy Birthday Tom and Chris!! Hope you did extra-fun things to celebrate your day!


Whew....almost done! Thanks for sticking with me through this long-winded post. I have to include the Bouchercon countdown today! Can you believe it? 43 days left! Woo hoo!! I actually won't be going until Friday, but I plan to leave early Friday and take advantage of everything I can from Friday to Sunday.


Have a great Thursday and happy reading!!

3 comments:

Serena September 3, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

Wow, you really have been busy. I hear you on reading more and more blogs over the past couple of weeks.

Congrats on the wins and the awards.

My mom loved Chelsea Cain's HEARTSICK! She said it was fantastic. I haven't gotten her to review it though. :(

Have a great long weekend and take a breath!

Corey Wilde September 3, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

LOL! By the time I got to the end of your post I had forgotten what I wanted to say about something early in the post. Scrolling up now...

Yes, the Burke interview is well worth the time. Alafair asks some good questions, wouldn't want to face her in a courtroom. And of course, around this house it is believed that JLB walks on water.

That 'first line' blog post got me thinking, too, but then as usual my mind wandered off on a tangent.

CONGRATS on the award from 7CMs. Nice to see the authors returning some of those pats on the back you've been handing out. And congrats on all the other prizes you've been hauling in, too.

Last, thanks for the shout out on the WGI contest.

Jen Forbus September 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

That's funny, Corey. When I sat down last night to write the post, I thought, "o.k., I just want to mention a few odds and ends." But I just kept remembering more and more. Even after I posted it, I remembered something I left off! If you talk with me in person, I can't think of a thing to say, but put me in front of a piece of paper or a computer, and I can't shut up!

Very happy to read that you're getting a good turn out for the Invitational! I can't wait to see who ends up getting the 10 slots!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP