Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Few Odds and Ends

Just wanted to put up a quick post this morning. I'm behind, yet again, on my reviews - I'm sounding like a broken record. I have four that need finishing right now and another two books that I'm close to finishing. Having books in four different places is keeping me on my toes: print book, e-book, mp3 audio book, and the audio book in my car. Lucky for me they are all four outstanding books. I want to read them all simultaneously! I also have work to do on several interviews, and my year-end post is coming up. Wow, what a year it's been! And I was looking at the calendar; it's a couple weeks until Jen's Book Thoughts' second blogiversary! Double Wow on that one.

Tonight I'm headed out to Chagrin Falls for Steve Hockensmith's event at the library. If you're in the area, I highly recommend you stop by. If Steve is half as fun as he was at Bouchercon, all attendees are in for a wonderful evening. The event starts at 7. I may need to leave a little earlier than planned as we've been having snow for a couple days now. Is it spring yet?

I was over at Pop Culture Nerd's blog yesterday reading about her favorite things of 2009. And then Meredith Cole was talking about her favorite books and movies of 2009 at 7 Criminal Minds. And I became acutely aware of the fact that I didn't see hardly any movies this past year. So, I looked up a listing of all movies released in 2009. I went to the theater all of five times, no wait, one of the movies I saw on DVD, so that's four times in 2009. So, I decided to ask for suggestions of what was good in 2009 that I can request on DVD. I put in a request for PUBLIC ENEMIES from the library. I'm 800 something on the list, so it'll be awhile for that one to come in. While I'm waiting, offer up some suggestions in the comments section of movies you think I would like - they need to be available on DVD now, though. Nothing overly sappy, nothing overly gory, nothing overly stupid - and no vampires!

Stay warm and I'll be back soon to wrap up 2009 and recap Steve Hockensmith! Happy Reading!


10 comments:

Jeff Cohen December 29, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

Up. Trust me.

pattinase (abbott) December 29, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

Let the Right One In. Brilliant!

Hank Phillippi Ryan December 29, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

"The Lives of Others." Really. Life-changingly wonderful. (Oh, wait, that wasn't 2009. But who cares.)

Corey Wilde December 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

Listen to Jeff Cohen.

Sophie Littlefield December 29, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Oooh, can't wait to see what you have to say about Mr. Zombie Boy!

I know you said nothing too sappy but I am putting away holiday stuff today, and every year Junior and I watch LOVE ACTUALLY together to kick off the season and it is my hands-down favorite feel good movie of all time.

Also: anyone who has not watched the entire Firefly series incl. Serenity must stop what they are doing NOW and -> netflix

Jen Forbus December 29, 2009 at 1:45 PM  

O.k., UP is on the list.

Hank, year doesn't matter...THE LIVES OF OTHERS is on the list.

Patti, thank you, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is on the list.

Sophie, LOVE ACTUALLY is one of my all-time favs. I own it on DVD. I don't think that's too sappy...I was thinking more along the lines of Nicholas Sparks...Danielle Steele...that kind of sappy.

Thanks everyone!

Pop Culture Nerd December 29, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

I second the other recommendations and add (500) Days of Summer. It's a really fun movie.

Happy New Year, Jen!

le0pard13 December 29, 2009 at 6:24 PM  

Since I'm late to this, everyone before me has picked things I could have mentioned (but, credit to them). No vampires! What is this world coming to? Wait a minute... the great LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is a... never mind. How about this? It's a western in the modern sense, and is directed by Kathryn Bigelow (currently getting acclaim for the THE HURT LOCKER), and no one in the film utters the 'V' word: NEAR DARK. It's from '87 (but you said year doesn't matter), but trust me, you won't be bored with it.

Anonymous December 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM  

Right off the bat, Jeff had my 2009 pick! You can add me to the LOVE ACTUALLY fan club, as well. (Richard Curtis wrote that and others like NOTTING HILL and FOUR WEDDINGS and a FUNERAL.)

Let's see, a few more I'd recommend: ABOUT A BOY, A KNIGHT'S TALE (great soundtrack,btw) and MYSTERY,ALASKA. Entertaining and not too sappy or heavy.

@ Sophie - I've had the FIREFLY series and SERENITY on DVD for a year now and have yet to sit down and watch them! Maybe New Year's Day, I'll have a FIREFLY marathon!

Happy New Year's to all!
Christine (Nashville, TN)

le0pard13 December 30, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

@Christine: I highly recommend that FIREFLY marathon on New Year's day. An absolutely great and too short-lived TV series. You won't be disappointed with the western/sci-fi series and its culminating kick-*ss movie send-off, SERENITY. It's a pity that Fox didn't see what it had in the series, and Universal, too, with the potential movie franchise.

p.s., great pick, Sophie.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP