Saturday, May 1, 2010

May is "Get Caught Reading" Month

Did you know that May is "Get Caught Reading Month"? Personally, I think every month should be "Get Caught Reading Month." I'm caught reading every day. But, in the spirit of this movement, we're going to catch Crime Writers reading Crime here at the blog. So, I do declare May "Crime Writers Caught Reading Crime" month. I will be sharing a crime writer photo each day this month. When I post interviews, the most common response from readers is "I love to hear what the writers are reading or what they recommend." So stop in each day this month to see what the crime writers are reading!

As an added incentive, for each comment you leave on a "Crime Writers Caught Reading Crime" post this month, you'll be entered in a drawing to win a copy of Michael Koryta's upcoming SO COLD THE RIVER. I will even have Michael sign it for you if you'd like. So tell us what YOU'RE reading, what you want to read, what you've seen others reading. If you've read a book the authors are reading, what did you think of it? Let's make getting caught reading a cool event! This contest will be open to anyone.

And, I'll have an extra special post for the celebration on May 31st. I hope you'll stop by every day to see who is caught reading! And how about if we start off with one of the most well-known crime writers reading another of the genre's greats. Stephen King is thoroughly engrossed in Lee Child's TRIPWIRE.

Maggie from "Team Lee" send this picture taken by John Wilcox of the Boston Herald. Lee's out now promoting his new book 61 HOURS (out this month in the U.S.) but we still might see something else of him this month...Stephen King released a novella in April called BLOCKADE BILLY

Technorati Tags: , ,

16 comments:

Anonymous May 1, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

Love this contest! Love the fact that you started with Stephen King. He's a favorite of mine from way back.

I will admit that I haven't read Lee Child yet, but my husband absolutely loves his books. Can't wait for the new ones.

I'm reading Skull Mantra by Eliot Pattison for my mystery book group meeting this next Wednesday night. It has taken me a bit of time to get into it, but I've hit my stride now and am moving right along.

APMonkey May 1, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

Please thank your random number generator for me. :-)

And I agree with Kay, this should be great fun to see a bunch of picts showing us what who we read find "worthy" of their own reading time.

Love that picture of King, and it's actually not uncommon to see him with a book at the Red Sox games... though that is by far the "best" read I've seen him with. Jack Reacher rocks! \m/ \m/

Word Lily May 1, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

Fun contest/series yet again, Jen! I think a book at a baseball game is a good game plan — either that or a large group of friends.

Lesa May 1, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

I'm with APMonkey. I just love the picture of Stephen King reading at a Boston Red Sox game. I've seen similar pictures of him.

I'm finishing Gerrie Ferris Finger's The End Game, winner of the Malice Domestic Best Frist Traditional Mystery Novel Competition. Haven't read it at any ball games, but I did take it to the post office to read while standing in line to take care of my passport application.

It's going to be fun to see all the pictures, Jen!

Lesa - www.lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com

Holly West May 1, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

I am well into reading "So Cold the River" and it's really compelling. Whoever wins won't be disappointed!

L.J. Sellers May 1, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

This will be fun! I'm reading an advanced review copy of A Journey to Die For by Radine Trees Nehring. Next up is The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton.

Katy May 1, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

What a cool feature--I'm looking forward to see who else gets caught reading. :)

LJ May 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

Stephen King and the Boston Red Sox; an unbeatable combination. I have a Kindle but one thing nice about printed books is that you can see the covers and know what others are reading.

Christine May 1, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

Great pic of King. Brian pointed out a wee passage in King's Under The Dome that mentions a certain MP by the name of Reacher! Guess he liked the book.  Love when authors give a shout-out to other authors or their characters in their novels!

Mark Baker May 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

At the moment, I'm reading Double Minds by Terri Blackstock. Before the month is over, I plan to catch your in your starring role in Chris Grabenstein's latest.

Les May 2, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

I've just come your way via SuziQ's (Whimpulsive) blog and I'm hooked! I can't wait to see all the Get Caught Reading photos, but I'm even more thrilled to start adding all the great new titles (to me) to my TBR list. I'm only sorry I missed out on all the fun with your Detectives Around the World event. Lots of archives here to catch up. I better get busy! :)

BTW, I've only read one book by Lee Child (Killing Floor), but my husband is a big fan. I need more hours in the day to get caught up on all the series I enjoy. ;)

Pop Culture Nerd May 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

Great photo! I can't wait to see all the other ones throughout the month. What a fun way to promote reading AND crime fiction, Jen.

I'm reading Stieg Larsson's final book, GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST & an anthology called THE DARK END OF THE STREET, featuring short stories about sex & crime from authors like Michael Connelly, Lee Child, S.J. Rozan & a bunch of others.

Anonymous May 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

May is looking like it's going to be an awesome month. Can't wait to see who else will get caught.

Currently reading Irreplaceable by Stephen Lovely.

Jen Forbus May 2, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

Yay Mark!!! So excited that you're planning to read ROLLING THUNDER. I just love the John Ceepak series and am beyond honored that Chris put me in this book. I'd have loved it regardless, but it's still very cool.

Les, welcome, welcome, welcome!! So glad you stumbled over this way. The more the merrier...always. Keep us up to date on great books you find!

Ewwww, PCN, I'm definitely going to have to check out that DARK END OF THE STREET! Sounds like good stuff.

Thanks everybody! Keep sharing your great reads and tell everyone it's cool to be caught reading.

darbyscloset May 3, 2010 at 12:16 AM  

I never would of recognized Stephen! Currently I am reading "Dead End Gene Pool"..... a mystery of sorts yet not the type of mystery I love to read; does has my interest thou!
Thanks Jen,
Darby
darbyscloset at yahoo dot com

Literate Housewife May 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

Can I say how much I love Stephen King? He was a big part of my literary life in high school and I love his columns in EW. He loves our culture and promotes it. He's wonderful.

This is a fun series, Jen. I can't wait to see this unfold during May. I would say it's a crime NOT to get caught reading this month. :)

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP