Sunday, July 4, 2010

They Said WHAT? - June

June was a rather crazy month for me with lots of fun trips and a slew of crazy, wonderful reads. However, that didn't translate into a lot of blog work time, so I'm a bit behind. And since I was out of town last Sunday, I didn't get to post my favorite lines from June. So, I'm going to share those with you today, and then I have a wonderfully packed line-up for the rest of the week. I hope you'll check back often. Also, don't forget to enter to win one of the stunning book soundtracks from John Connolly in honor of his upcoming U.S. release of THE WHISPERERS.

Have a happy 4th of July and enjoy these great lines:

  • from Gar Anthony Haywood's amazing CEMETERY ROAD;
"Because sometimes ignorance truly is bliss, and once it is gone, asking God to have it back is a wasted prayer."

"What I saw and heard during that time gave me no reason to think she would outlive me. She had taken the sorrow of a motherless child and made a funeral blanket out of it, a shroud she could curl up in to retreat from all the warmth and light of the world."

"He was fourteen years old at the most and, already, life and death to him were but interchangeable, equally valueless sides of the same coin."

"Some memories lose their shape and form faster than others. Details dim and disappear, forever out of reach of the conscious mind. Settings shift and grow vague, while the people in them perform all nature of tricks, morphing into others and moving about at will, either imposing themselves upon a time and place in which they played no part, or vacating one that holds little meaning without them. Six men in a room become two, three become five. The variations are endless."
  • from Marcus Sakey's outstanding thriller, THE AMATEURS:
"The world narrowed to a long hallway, like the gun had black-hole gravity that warped space."
  • from Charlie Huston's stunning novel THE MYSTIC ART OF ERASING ALL SIGNS OF DEATH:
"I looked up at the sky outside the window.

A piece of it snapped off and dropped and hit me on the head.

And it was all there again, the whole thing, back in my head, one picture, entire. No longer broken into the little fragments I liked to keep it scattered in. Fragments hidden on ghost buses cruising L.A. Freighters of lost things. But not of me."
  • from Ken Bruen's heart-wrenching THE KILLING OF THE TINKERS:
"Serena didn't have an extra chromosome; it was us, the normal ones, who were lacking the added spark. Would I could have held on to that moment, I could have just sampled the energy for a little longer. I'd no longer need oblivion."
  • and finally, from Craig Johnson's magnificent JUNKYARD DOGS:
"It was a tough business coming to terms with your own mortality, and some people, once they are confronted with its face, never forget its features."

"Dog was seated in the front. He turned to look at me as if I'd lost my mind. He had Saint Bernard in him and some German shepherd with a bunch of other things, most of them domesticated except for when you had bacon - then he was part great white shark."

Happy Holidays and Happy Reading!!!!

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

3 comments:

le0pard13 July 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

A fine collection of quotes, Jen. Have a wonderful and safe 4th holiday.

Jen Forbus July 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

Thanks Michael! Right back atcha, my friend.

Naomi Johnson July 4, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

This is a fine selection, Jen. And I know what you mean about getting behind on the blogging. I think I'm behind on my life right now, even though it's getting all my time!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP