Sunday, August 15, 2010

This and That

I wanted to let you all know that things will probably be a little thin around here this week. I'm a bit overwhelmed and won't have as much time as usual to devote to posts. But here are a few things from around the Web that I wanted to share with you.

First, if you're still sitting on the fence about whether to attend Bouchercon 2010, just take a look at this line-up of attendees. Pretty darned amazing.

Can't do Bouchercon this year? Well, next year it's in St. Louis, a little more central, little less expensive, and if you register before November 1st, it's still only $150. It will go up to $175 after that. And of course I've been giddy about this one for some time because Robert Crais will be one of the guests of honor. And some of my favorite people are organizing it, so I'm pretty confident it's going to be amazing. If you've never experienced Bouchercon before, here's a great opportunity!

Another fun event to consider is Murder & Mayhem in Muskego. I'm sure you remember me raving about this last year. It's a great event, and the line-up this year is stunning. Registration is open for that. An affordable, crime (fiction)-filled weekend.

Here's a fun interview to check out. Steve Hamilton interviewing Michael Koryta.

Speaking of Michael Koryta, we have to send out congrats to both he and Brad Parks for their Shamus nominations. Janet Rudolph has the entire list of nominees here, if you haven't seen them already.

If you're short on time-wasting activities, there are games at this site related to books and literature. This specific one is about characters. See if you can identify where they come from. There's another on book covers. Test your knowledge! If you're really motivated, you can create your own game there.

I was over the moon thrilled to find out that Hilary Davidson will be at Mystery Lovers Bookshop on October 2nd. They don't have her event listed yet, but it'll be a Coffee and Crime event, so 10:00a.m. on the 2nd. Here's a link to all of their author events. I can't recommend MLB events highly enough, but this is your chance to get in on the ground floor with Hilary! This event will be for her debut novel, THE DAMAGE DONE. She's going to be huge; I feel it in my bones. So, get you to the Mystery Lovers Bookshop on October 2nd!

I'm aiming to win this myself, but if you'd like to get in on the fun, Laura Lippman is holding a contest where you can win a visit from her for your library. Check that out here.

That's all the time I have for today. Gotta get out to the grocery store before it gets ridiculously busy. Happy Sunday! Happy Reading! Ta-Ta!

5 comments:

bermudaonion August 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

I hope things settle down for you soon.

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses August 15, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

Terrific post, Jen - I can't wait to check out the book related games; thanks!

I won't see you in San Francisco (sob), but I'll see you in St. Louis (yay!).

pattinase (abbott) August 15, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

And don't forget Noircon. Nice to see you there.

Jen Forbus August 16, 2010 at 6:18 AM  

Kaye - I want to hear how you do on those games!!

Kathy - thank you! It's a lot of my own doing...that biting off more than you can chew thing and all.

Patti - I wish I could do Noircon this year, too, but between money and vacation, I'm completely tapped out from B'Con and M&M.

Hilary Davidson August 16, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

Jen, you are amazing. I'm thrilled to be visiting Mystery Lovers, and beyond excited to finally get to hang out with you in person! Thanks for the wonderful mention... and for the great listing of upcoming mystery events. I've already registered for St. Louis, and I'll be at Murder & Mayhem in 2011. I'll also be at NoirCon this November, and — like Patti — I wish you could be there!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP