Sunday, September 26, 2010

Dead or Alive

Bouchercon 2010 is quickly approaching and this year I will be moderating a panel. OH. MY. GOD! The title of the panel is "Dead or Alive" and it will be held at 11:30 on Thursday morning. So, I hope if you are attending the Bouchercon by the Bay this year, you'll come lend some moral support. I'm equal parts excited and nervous.  I'm also going to need a volunteer to sit front and center and get the pictures to prove this event actually happens!

I have quite a bit to be excited about since my panel of authors is simply magnificent. I'm supposed to sit up there with them and act professional when what I'll really want to do is go all fan girl. But, I have been practicing my professional behavior and I think I can do this. ;-) I thought I'd share a little about them with you today.

People keep telling me that as the moderator I'm in charge. Can someone make sure they tell Brad Parks this? I'm just kidding. I'm thrilled to pieces to have the author of FACES OF THE GONE as part of the panel. A former journalist, Brad released his debut novel in 2009 and the sequel is due on bookshelves in early 2011. Brad is smart and funny. He's an exceptionally talented writer AND singer. I don't think we'll be doing any stage shows during this panel, but you never can tell. FACES OF THE GONE is also a Shamus Award nominee this year. We'll learn the outcome of those awards Friday night.

It's hard to read this blog and not know I think Hilary Davidson is amazingly talented. So, to say I'm over the moon that she is also on the "Dead or Alive" panel is no exaggeration at all. Hilary's fiction debut, THE DAMAGE DONE, is on bookstore shelves tomorrow! But of course she's been writing freelance, travel writing, short fiction, and gluten-free information for some time. Hilary will shed some light on the female writer/female protagonist vantage point for the panel.

Douglas Corleone is also a debut author this year. His novel, ONE MAN'S PARADISE, won the MWA/Minotaur First Crime Novel Award this year. You'll be hearing more about that book here when I catch up on my reviews! In the mean time, though, Doug is a former lawyer from New York, now living in Hawaii writing about a lawyer. If Doug is as humorous in person as he is in his writing, we're going to have to put he and Brad at separate ends of the table. They will most definitely find trouble if they're together.

And my final panelist is R.J. (Roger) Ellory. If you caught last week's audio book review of A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS, you know how amazing I think Roger's writing is. You'll be hearing a lot more about his books here in the future. I picked up a couple of his books as soon as I knew he would be on my panel and I will be forever grateful that he was included in the "Dead or Alive" panel. I am now addicted to Ellory's work. Roger is our veteran crime fiction author. The people in the U.K. may be a tad bit more aware of how wonderful he is, but we're going to work on fixing that on this side of the pond, o.k? His books are standalones and most definitely blow genre definition to smithereens. They don't fit neatly into any one package. There's crime going on, so he qualifies to be on our panel and that's all that's important.

This is such an eclectic group and I'm so excited about that. I think it is going to make for great discussion. So, as I said, I hope you'll join the fun if you're attending Bouchercon. The more the merrier. Come help me celebrate four wonderfully talented writers.  



10 comments:

Naomi Johnson September 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM  

Cool, Jen! I know you'll have a blast.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick September 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

How fantastic!! I just attended SIBA in Daytona Beach this weekend, but I'd love to head out to San Fran for this event, especially since you're hosting a panel! Don't worry, I think you'll be able to hide the "fan girl" for just a little while and then you can go all crazy afterwards and get autographs -- at least, that's what I would do!! :) Have fun, and can't wait to hear all of the fun details!

Beth Groundwater September 26, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

Good luck with your panel, Jen! I know you'll make sure it's both entertaining and enlightening. I wish I could see it, but I'm skipping Bouchercon this year to hunker down and write. Sigh!

kathy d. September 27, 2010 at 3:41 AM  

Congratulations! And good luck. This sounds very exciting. And you will do a great job.

Please give us all of the juicy details afterwards, as we hang on every word about these mystery conventions.

Robin M September 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Oh man, how cool! I had planned on arriving late Thursday afternoon. Now I think I'm going to have to change my plans so I can attend the panel. There are so many panels going on simultaneously that I would love to attend. Having hard time making up my mind.

Pop Culture Nerd September 27, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

I would've soiled myself if I found out I had to moderate a panel with those writers. You can't lose, Jen; it's going to be terrific and YOU are going to do great. The way to handle Brad Parks is to agree with everything he says, no matter how perverted.

I'd sit in the front row and take pictures for you but unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll make it in time. I'm driving up with some friends and they have to work so we're heading up late afternoon Thursday. But I can't wait to hear all about it afterward!

Kathleen A. Ryan October 1, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

I'll be there, Jen ~ I can take photos if you wish!

Jen Forbus October 1, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

Oh yay! I'm so glad you're going to be there, Kathy! And I know you take great pictures :-) You're so wonderful.

Jen Forbus October 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

I'll be sharing a blow-by-blow of the all the fun when I return. My countdown is now 12 days!! :-) Can't wait.

Lo October 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

Sigh. You'd think you'd learn by now not to say/write things like "blow-by-blow" when Brad may be nearby. I may need to "Brad-proof" your panel notes, sister, or this could head into the gutter right quick.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP