Monday, December 20, 2010

2010 Wrap-Up Week: New-to-Me Authors

This week I'm going to have a series of posts related to wrapping up 2010. Next week, between the holidays I have some very special guest posts for you, so if you have the time, I hope you'll check in. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!

I decided to start the wrap-up week with my post about the new-to-me authors I've read. Total books read for 2010 will be between 100-103 books from at least 69 different authors (depends on how much reading I can fit in with the holidays). But for sure I will have read 42 new-to-me authors. What a wonderful year this has been for my discovery of amazing new authors. You'll see quite a few of these mentioned throughout this week as I present my "favorites" list later. But let's take a look at the collective list. I've bold-faced the authors who are debut authors this year.

  • Walter Mosley (Devil in the Blue Dress, The Long Fall)
  • Marcus Sakey (Good People, The Blade Itself, The Amateurs)
  • Kelli Stanley (City of Dragons)
  • Michael Palmer (The Last Surgeon)
  • Nancy Martin (Our Lady of Immaculate Deception)
  • Keith Thomson (Once a Spy)
  • Steve Hamilton (The Lock Artist, A Cold Day in Paradise)
  • John Sandford (Mind Prey)
  • A.E. Maxwell (Just Another Day in Paradise)
  • Megan Abbott (Die a Little)
  • Jeffrey A. Cohen (The Killing of Mindi Quintana)
  • Mark Gimenez (The Color of Law)
  • Rebecca Cantrell (A Night of Long Knives)
  • Susan Shae (Murder in the Abstract)
  • Gar Anthony Haywood (Cemetery Road)
  • Jamie Freveletti (Running Dark)
  • Charlie Huston (The Mystic Art of Erasing All Signs of Death)
  • Harry Dolan (Bad Things Happen)
  • Joe Wallace (Diamond Ruby)
  • John Verdon (Think of a Number)
  • Bryan Gruley (Starvation Lake)
  • Kevin Guilfoile (Cast of Shadows)
  • Ellen Horan (31 Bond Street)
  • Paul Levine (Solomon Vs Lord, The Deep Blue Alibi)
  • Michael Van Rooy (An Ordinary Decent Criminal) - U.S. debut
  • Stephen Jay Schwartz (Boulevard)
  • Daniel Silva (The Rembrandt Affair)
  • Inger Ash Wolfe (The Calling)
  • Hilary Davidson (The Damage Done)
  • Joel Goldman (No Way Out)
  • Douglas Corleone (One Man's Paradise)
  • R.J. Ellory (Candlemoth, A Silent Belief in Angels, The Anniversary Man, A Simple Act of Violence) - yeah, I kinda liked him!
  • David Champion (Bomber Bombs)
  • Zoe Ferraris (Finding Nouf)
  • S.J. Rozan (Concourse)
  • Val McDermid (Blue Genes, Report for Murder)
  • Mark Billingham (The Burning Girl)
  • Tami Hoag (Secrets to the Grave)
  • Jim Fusilli (Narrows Gate)
  • Emma Donoghue (Room)
  • Jasper Fforde (Lost in a Good Book)
  • Ogawa Yoko (The Housekeeper and the Professor)

Those are all the new-to-me authors from this year. There are some that one experience reading them was enough, many have been added to my must read list. I've obtained a number of their other books and they're already contributing to my overwhelming to-be-read list.

I know you're probably looking at this list going, "she hadn't read HIM/HER before this year?" That's the sad truth; I am, however, slowly filling in my embarrassing gaps.

How about you? Who was new to you this year? Share with us in the comments. If you created your own blog post about it, share your link so we can come see. Up on the docket for tomorrow - my favorite audiobooks! See ya then!

11 comments:

Paul Levine December 20, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

Thanks for the kind mention, Jen. I'll add that my vintage Jake Lasiter series is now on Kindle at $2.99 per book, and the paperback edition of "Illegal" comes out from Bantam Jan. 25.

Paul Levine
http://www.paul-levine.com

Dorte H December 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

I haven´t read more than four of these authors myself - but I do wonder that you haven´t read Val McDermid before ;)

Joe Wallace December 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

Thanks for including me and Diamond Ruby, Jen! So happy to have met you and been a guest on your blog this year...and so glad you enjoyed my first novel.

Rebecca Cantrell December 20, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Thank you, Jen! I'm glad to be on you "new to me" list, and I hope to make the "old hat" list next year. :)

Happy Holidays!

kathy d. December 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM  

I'm surprised to see any non-mystery books there, but then again, I suppose they have some component that's mysterious.

How did you like "Room," and "The Housekeeper and the Professor"?

And, are you going to do a favorite books of 2010 list? Or rate the books in some way?

Jen Forbus December 21, 2010 at 6:16 AM  

Hehehe...You're great Dorte! I'm going to be immersed in Val this year. My goal is to read all her books...think I can do it?

Jen Forbus December 21, 2010 at 6:18 AM  

Paul, Joe and Rebecca - Thank YOU!! You provide me with so much wonderful content to read. Paul, you made me laugh and laugh and laugh. I'm looking forward to more by all of you, so please DON'T STOP WRITING! Happy New Year!

Jen Forbus December 21, 2010 at 6:20 AM  

Hey Kathy! The non-crime fiction novels are mostly all due to my book club actually. Joe Wallace's DIAMOND RUBY was not, but Joe is a wonderful writer, I've read some of his short fiction, and DIAMOND RUBY actually does have a very strong crime element to it. As does ROOM, which I'll be reviewing at the beginning of 2011 as I catch up on reviews. Both ROOM and THE PROFESSOR were very good. Well worth the reads!

Dorte H December 21, 2010 at 7:09 AM  

I´m sure you can if you are determined to do it, but I´d better warn you that even though all her other books are excellent, I don´t read her Hill & Jordan series. It is very exciting but the violence is fairly graphic.

Beth F December 21, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

I discovered a bunch of these authors myself this year.

Naomi Johnson December 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

"New-to-me" that I enjoyed this year: Leighton Gage and Alafair Burke.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP