Thursday, December 23, 2010

2010 Wrap-Up Week: Survey

My wonderful friend Lauren pointed me over to The Perpetual Page Turner's blog and she had this fun end-of-the-year survey that I thought I'd take a shot at. It'll be a bit of a challenge for me, but I'll give it a go. I'm only doing the section on reading, but it's open to anyone interested, so if you'd like to challenge yourself to answering these questions, let us know so we can come see your responses.

O.k., here goes:


1. Best Book of 2010 - THE LOCK ARTIST/A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS - I couldn't pick one over the other. They were both incredibly power, incredibly beautiful books that changed me as a reader.

2. Worst Book of 2010THE KILLING OF MINDI QUINTANA. I really thought this book never took off. The killing doesn't even occur until more than mid-way through the book. The plot was slow and it took an effort to turn those pages.

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010MIND PREY. I had not read anything from John Sandford before this book and I was anticipating greatness based on everyone's comments about this series. I was less than impressed. I thought there was gratituous violence and I never connected with the protagonist.

4. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2010?THE REMBRANDT AFFAIR. On the flip side, I was a bit apprehensive about reading this book. I'm not a typical spy thriller fan, but Silva blew my socks off. Definitely added this series to my must read and have procurred several backlist titles as well.

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010?
THE LOCK ARTIST/A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS. I read THE LOCK ARTIST earlier in the year than A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS so I guess I recommended Hamilton more, but they are both the first books out of my mouth these days. LOVED. THEM. BOTH!

6. Best series you discovered in 2010? – Ridley Pearson’s Lou Boldt/Daphne Matthews series. Now I'm in the fan club that would like to see their return!

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010?
– R.J. Ellory, Gar Anthony Haywood, Steve Hamilton, Charlie Huston, Bryan Gruley, John Verdon and Keith Thomson. This was an excellent year for me to discover new authors!

8. Most hilarious read of 2010?
SOLOMON VS. LORD/JUNKYARD DOGS - I often had to wipe tears from my eyes while reading these books. Excellent humor.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?
THINK OF A NUMBER. If you haven't checked out this debut yet, do it. John Verdon is going to be a man to watch!

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010?
- 212. I've been waiting for the return of my girl, Ellie. Was so glad to have her back. And Alafair Burke only continues to improve in her craft.

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010?
INNOCENT MONSTER. Spectacular cover. I mentioned it back when I interviewed Reed and gave kudos to Kristie Langone of 2Faced Design. I love this cover. This is a cover I'd hang on my wall as art!

12. Most memorable character in 2010? – Joe Pike, enough said.

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010?
A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS. This book is poetry in motion. The crafting of the words is as important to Ellory as the crafting of the plot. In some ways this echos of James Lee Burke, but mostly, it's Ellory's distinct style.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010?
A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS/THE LOCK ARTIST. I simply cannot say enough about these two books. If you only take 2 recommendations from me this year, take these two. BUT, having said that, only take them if you appreciate great writing. If you want something that's quick, brainless and easy. Forget I said anything.

15. Book you can’t believe you waited until 2010 to finally read?
THE GUARDS. I can't believe it took me this long, but I finally read it. And now I have most of the rest of the series to enjoy for the first time!

That is a nice summation of the year. How about you? What would be your responses? Tomorrow I'll finish the wrap-up week with my goals for 2011. I'd love your input if you're able to stop by. If I don't see you before, have a wonderful Christmas (for those observing) and a fantastic end to 2010! Happy Reading!

2 comments:

A Certain Book December 23, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

A Quiet Belief In Angels was my favourite read of the year - as you say, beautifully written. Saints of New York is excellent too, but the style of writing is different. I'd be interested in reading The Lock Artist which you've put up there alongside Ellroy's.

Merry Xmas from downunder.

Jenn's Bookshelves January 2, 2011 at 9:09 AM  

Ok, ok....I finally requested The Lock Artist & A Quiet Belief in Angels from the library. I'm excited that they finally have the audiobook versions of both!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP