Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Crime Writers Caught Recommending Crime - Day 21

There are few people that I admire as much as today's author. Sophie Littlefield is not only one of the most talented women I know, she's funny and generous and smart as a whip. Sophie is one of the great cheerleaders of this genre, so it's my honor to have her here recommending for the holidays.

Of course, Sophie writes the Stella Hardesty adult crime fiction series. She is also the author of BANISHED, a young adult novel, and AFTERTIME, a dystopian novel due out in March of 2011. And in between all that she somehow manages to keep two teenagers, a husband and a young beagle in line. Whew! She also read RUT by Scott Phillips:

"RUT by Scott Phillips is the smartest dystopic novel I've read yet. It's part of a fascinating publishing experiment that combines individual giving with grass-roots book sharing - check out http://www.concordfreepress.com. And, I love the cover and I think it will look nice next to my collection of snowman Santa figurines."


Not only a great book, but a great distribution concept. We all talk about how important our friends' recommendations are to us when choosing a book, so what could be better!

And for my recommendation, Charlie Huston isn't doing anything fancy like Scott Phillips with his book distribution - that I know of anyway - but his book THE MYSTIC ARTS OF ERASING ALL SIGNS OF DEATH is simply magnificent. I was apprehensive at first, thinking, "I don't know if I can connect with this character." But it didn't take me long to make one of the strongest connections I've made with a character in some time. This was my first experience reading Charlie Huston, but as long as he continues to write at the level of MYSTIC ARTS, he's got a fan in me for life!

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Pop Culture Nerd December 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

I love how, despite the fact she's simultaneously writing 29 books, Sophie still takes time to read and send you a recommendation. I'll have what she's having!

(Is she doing her rosaries while reading? She sure knows how to multitask...)

Pop Culture Nerd December 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

Oh, and you need to read Charlie Huston's Hank Thompson trilogy!

Sophie Littlefield December 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

yes, what PCN says about the Huston trilogy! buy that too!!

and PCN, that's a giant gothic cross pendant i'm clutching. i was on my way to a party. actually i was upstairs while the party went full tilt downstairs. i had lifted the pendant from my hostess's dresser, and planned to wear it, but in the end lost my nerve

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP