Friday, December 10, 2010

Crime Writers Caught Recommending Crime - Day 23

Well, Chanukah is over and there's 15 days to Christmas. Kwanzaa and Boxing Day will follow that. Are you set? No? O.k., well here's another recommendation for you!

Meredith Cole, who released her second Lydia McKenzie novel this year, is offering up today's recommendation. She is rather fond of Laura Lippman's WHAT THE DEAD KNOW. Here's why she thinks WHAT THE DEAD KNOW would make a great holiday gift this year:

"I read Laura Lippman's series and enjoyed it, but her first standalone WHAT THE DEAD KNOW floored me. It's one of those books that you devour quickly, but can't stop thinking about afterwards. The book haunts you. It's a creepy story about two girls who disappeared one day in a shopping mall and were never seen again--until one day a woman shows up and claims to be one of the missing girls. It was inspired by a true story that happened near where my husband grew up. Lately I've found myself recommending the book to both men and women, some of them mystery readers, and everyone has had a similar reaction to my own. This book would make a wonderful gift."

An excellent choice from Meredith Cole. Thank you Meredith!

For my recommendation today, I'm choosing Michael Lister's DOUBLE EXPOSURE. This was one of my favorite reads of 2009. I have been enjoying Michael's John Jordan series for awhile now, but DOUBLE EXPOSURE was quite a departure from that series. He uses unique style, builds strong momentum and simply drives this suspense novel all the way to the final page.

That's it for this week, but I have some special tidbits to throw your way next week to wrap up the series and help you with any final gifts you might need to pick up.

And just as a little reminder, don't forget that this is supposed to be a season of love, a season of kindness and giving. Seems like in the rush and stress of everything, we forget that. Be kind to others. Do something nice for someone you don't know: hold the door, smile, say 'thank you.' Even those little gestures can mean a lot to people and they cost us nothing.

Happy Reading, Everyone!

5 comments:

Dorte H December 10, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

I have already added Laura Lippman to my wish list. I read my first Lippman novel a few days ago, and it was such a pleasure from the very first sentence. Good plot, great characters and a wonderful sense of humour.

kathy d. December 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

I thought "What the Dead Know" was a terrific read and gave it to a friend two years ago for Xmas, Chanukkah and the Winter Solstice(!)

She didn't appreciate it but I talked about it for months. I recommend it.

Meredith Cole December 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

I'm so glad to hear from more Laura Lippman fans. She's absolutely terrific, and definitely worth sharing with friends and family!

Anonymous December 24, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

This book reminded me of the recent crimes out west. . .one was prosecuted recently. . .will say no more about that.

Will use this as an opportunity to say thanks for putting Brunswick Ga in the book. Yes, there is a paper mill and it stinks. . .But it is also a gateway to the Golden Isles of Georgia. . ..

Anonymous December 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

Quick and easy to read. Kept reading to find out how it would end, but, like many books, anti-climactic when I got there.

Reminded me of a true crime that was tried (in court) out west recently.

Truthful about Brunswick GA. It smells, due to the paper mill. The gateway to the Golden Isles of Georgia. A surprising bit of realism.

I enjoyed reading it but I am not compelled to search out other books by this author.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP