Friday, December 3, 2010

Crime Writers Caught Recommending Crime - Day 18

I have to apologize for the lapse yesterday. I ended up being gone later than expected on Wednesday night and wasn't able to finish a post. But never fear, I'm back today with a new recommendation!

As the fates would have it, I'm presently reading Steve Hockensmith's collection of short stories called NAUGHTY:NINE TALES OF CHRISTMAS CRIME. So, I think it's befitting that he should be making our recommendation today. I'll talk more about NAUGHTY later because Steve's going to talk about THE PALE BLUE EYE today.

"How's this for stupid? My favorite book of 2010 has been sitting in my To Be Read pile since 2007. Why was I so reluctant to crack it open? I think it was the reviews. They were so damned good. And then there were all the award nominations. I'll admit it: I was intimidated. I started thinking of The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard not as a mystery with an intriguing premise -- a young Edgar Allan Poe gets mixed up in a murder investigation while a cadet at West Point -- but as a work of High Art with which I would have to grapple one day. In other words, I stopped thinking of it as something that would be fun. But fun it is, with one of the most engaging, endearing and amusing first-person narrators I've come across in a long time. Oh, and he's tricky, too, that one. I like to think it's pretty hard to get a twist past me, but he did it -- to devastating effect. Is The Pale Blue Eye art? You bet. Is it entertainment? And how. Should you buy it for a bibliophile on your Christmas list? Absolutely -- and don't wait three years to do it!"



And I should add that Steve told me he's reading to the stuffed cat because he'll tell absolutely anyone about this book, it's that good. Well then, I guess I have to add this one to my list.

Since Steve reached back a few years for his recommendation, I decided to do the same for mine today. I'm going back a little further than three years, but my recommendation is from the man I consider one of, if not THE, greatest living American writer - James Lee Burke. I will heartily recommend all his works, but my favorite is still LAST CAR TO ELYSIAN FIELDS. It is part of the Dave Robicheaux series and exhibits all of the finest characteristics of Burke's writing...on steroids! The beauty of nature contrasted starkly by the ugliness of man. A world of both incredible love and devastating hate. Powerful, beautiful, haunting, poetic. It simply doesn't get any better.

What are we down to? 21 more shopping days? What are you waiting for? Oh, and don't forget! Tomorrow is "Take Your Child to the Bookstore" day. If you actually need a formal day, then get out there tomorrow. Otherwise, take Junior EVERY day! Happy Reading!

10 comments:

Beth F December 3, 2010 at 7:12 AM  

Good enough for a stuffed cat, good enough for me! LOL.

Brian Lindenmuth December 3, 2010 at 8:28 AM  

I think tomorrow will be the odd time when I DON'T take the kids to a bookstore because we will be out of town.

kathy d. December 4, 2010 at 12:32 AM  

Great book ideas, the theme of these posts is genius.

Have a question: Will you be doing a list of your favorite reads of 2010 at the end of the year? (Am just asking as I'll print it out and add it to my TBR list)

Thanks in advance.

Jen Forbus December 4, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

Hi Kathy! Yes, I most certainly will have a favorites list for this year. I'm starting to ponder it now and will probably post it around the final week of December.

Thanks for always stopping by. I look forward to your comments!

Jen Forbus December 4, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

Candace, I already ordered this book! I think Steve should get commission!

kathy d. December 5, 2010 at 12:46 AM  

Jen, I think you've convinced me to read "Kindness Goes Unpunished," by Craig Johnson, a book I wouldn't have sought until I read this blog.

And there are others which you've won me over to read.

Appreciate the suggestions and reviews.

Steve Hockensmith December 5, 2010 at 1:57 AM  

Thanks for the great intro, Jen! You're always so nice to me. It's a bummer I won't be in Chagrin Falls for Christmas this year or I'd make you risk your life driving four hours through the snow to see me do another library thing.

As for earning commissions on The Pale Blue Eye, I'm up for it, but Louis Bayard gets the final say. I think I am a pretty good salesman for the book, though. Even the cat ended up buying it!

Sophie Littlefield December 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

that is my favorite picture of Mr.ZB ev-ah....and that's sayin something because i tend to take his picture every time I see him!

Jen Forbus December 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

I know Sophie! Don't you just love it?

Steve, you're well worth driving 4 hours for, but it doesn't take me that long to get to Chagrin Falls. Can't wait for you to come back, but maybe I'll see you in St. Louis first?

Steve Hockensmith December 7, 2010 at 12:11 AM  

You mean you didn't walk 70 miles through a blizzard to see me that night in Chagrin Falls, Jen? That's how I remember it. Don't mess up my beautiful memories with any facts! As for the next Bouchercon, I kinda doubt I'll be there. Bummer, I know, but I'll be surprised if it works out. Now that the perfect picture of me has been taken, I'm planning on retiring from public life. Why let everybody down by showing up cat-less and not nearly so photogenic?

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP