Friday, September 26, 2008

What to Take...

Patti Abbott asked on her blog, "what three books would you take with you on a desert island?" She suggested taking books you haven't read, which makes a lot of sense. My first question would have to be "how long am I going to be there?" If we're planning to go, we must know how long we're going to be there, right?

If I was going for an extended stay, I would opt for The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. I'm buying that one this weekend and it should take me a good while, even if I could read all day long with no interruptions.

The next book I would opt for is David Copperfield (Charles Dickens). I've said for years I want to read this book; I've just not fit it in to my schedule...to date.

Then I think my third choice would be Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe. It's the collection of Marlowe stories written by contemporary authors. I have it on my book shelf and look at it longingly most days, but again, haven't fit it into my schedule yet.

So, these are my choices...at least they are my choices TODAY! What would YOUR choices be?

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) September 26, 2008 at 10:53 PM  

I haven't read David Copperfield since my youth so reading it would be like reading something new. The Lehane book is on everyone's list.

Corey Wilde September 27, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

Copperfield is my favorite book by Dickens. I always enjoy David and his friends, they're good company.

Jen, I know you're a Crais fan, too, so take down that Phillip Marlowe book and read Crais's story, 'The Man Who Knew Dick Bong.' His Marlowe is Marlowe all right, but with a faint touch of Elvis Cole. And it's one more story in which Crais touches on the father/son theme. Nobody does it better.

Only three books? And none that I've read? Guess what, that's an island I'm not going to visit. But to stay in the game, I would choose those books that I am planning to read soon:

Craig Johnson's 'Death Without Company'

Craig McDonald's 'Toros and Torsos'

John Sandford's 'Heat Lightning'

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP