Monday, January 5, 2009

The List is Long Already

I was over perusing the Amazon Top 100 list for 2008. Actually they have two - one is an editor's pick list and one is a buyer's pick list. I only looked at the top 28 in the editor's pick list and then thought I better stop before I end up overwhelming myself yet again. In the top 28, though, I was reminded that I still desperately want to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson). That one is pretty safe because I have a copy sitting on my high-priority shelf as I type. The other book I was reminded of was Lush Life (Richard Price). I don't have a copy of Lush Life. I added it to my "to read" shelf over at goodreads.com, but that shelf is getting a little overwhelmed, too. So much so, a lot of those books I forget about. Rarely do I have time to go back and go through the whole list to remember what I put on there. Every once and again when some time opens up in my audio book schedule, I go through the list and try to find some of the titles on audio book that my library has, but that's about the extent of my viewing of that shelf. So, I decided I'm going to make a list that will be my "hope to read in 2009" list. I'm sure that list will also grow out of control, but maybe I'll cap it. I'll cap it at 125. If I get to 125 and I want to add a book, I'll have to take something off. I don't know if that will work, but I'll surely give it a try. In the meantime, I'm off to finish book number one for 2009. Have a nice night and happy reading!


2 comments:

Corey Wilde January 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM  

Good luck to you! It wouldn't work for me. The second I make a list of books I must read, I find myself going off on a tangent and reading everything except those books. That's why my reading goals for this year are rather vague.

Jen Forbus January 6, 2009 at 5:54 AM  

Oh, I have the exact same problem Corey. That's why I'm making the swap out policy once I reach 125 books. My problem right now is that I have a handful of books I agreed to read - so am obligated to do so and I need to keep those front and center so I don't overlook them. Then there are books that I really want to read...at least at this point I think I really want to read them, so if I have this list maybe I can weight how badly I want to read them versus othe books? It'll probably fail like my lists have in the past, but I'm going to at least give it a try! I'm putting on books I know will be released and that I'll have to read, too...Crais, Koryta, Conroy, etc.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP