Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Couple Fun Topics

I found this blog post through Trish over at Hey Lady! Whatch Readin'? And of course since I've started attending book signings I had to read it and find out which of the five I am (note: not everyone has to be one of the five this author mentions). I, too, think I'm the "gusher." Here's the thing about me, though. I LOVE to go. I get so incredibly excited, and then I get there and am terrified - it's that shy factor coming into play. I always try to snag a seat in the front row while the author talks but then I end up at the back of the line when it comes to the signing part because I'm just nervous. And I don't want to say something stupid and have everyone hear it. Inevitably, I'll say something stupid. I'm notorious for that! :) However, when I went to see Alafair Burke, she made me feel comfortable the minute I walked through the door of the store. She's just an easy-going gal like that. I purposely tried to wiggle to the back of the line, though, because I had toted along all of my books for her to sign and I didn't want to be the "lingerer" blocking everyone else's path, hogging her time, and pissing everyone else off.

Anyway, I'll have to continue to be a "gusher" because I just can't help it, but you all know that because I can't help gushing on my blog!

The other topic I thought I'd mention today is a question that was posed on the DorothyL list serve. Carol Shmurak asked "if you were falsely accused of a crime, what fictional PI would you want to hire to clear you?" I'm pretty sure the initial question said "PI," but some of the responses that came back were not necessarily PIs, which I think is alright, so I'm going to just say sleuth, o.k? There were a lot of nods for Spenser. I saw a couple votes for Jack Reacher. There was mention of Mike Chapman and Mercer Wallace. And I have to admit that I wrinkled my nose at the several calls for Kinsey Milhone. I know I'm in the minority, but I read A is for Alibi and stopped there. ANY-way....who would I pick? This was a very hard decision for me once I took the PI factor out. If it was just among PIs the decision would be without a doubt Elvis. But, if I just say sleuth, I think I have to go with Ceepak. What was the deciding factor you ask? Proximity. Ceepak is in New Jersey; Elvis, he's across the country. But I'd trust my life in either of their hands. But, you also know me. I LOVE Ceepak's ethics and his morality. Now, I just hope I'm not ever wrongly accused of anything. Knowing me, I could manage to stumble into something stupid and need to call them!

Who YOU gonna call?

7 comments:

Alafair Burke February 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Jack Reacher, no question. He'll break all the rules to save me. (And thanks for the kind words, Jen. It was a pleasure to make a new friend. Happy Valentine's Day.)

Corey Wilde February 14, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

Now, now, no need to be so hard on yourself. The word is not 'gush,' it is enthusiasm, right?

Sleuth or PI, Elvis would be first on my list. Spenser would probably be second. Or maybe Ray Dudgeon.

le0pard13 February 14, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

I'm probably in the same category as you, Jen. But, I'd call it the 'Enthusiast'.

And, as for the PI, it would be Sam Diamond. I'm kidding. I'm sure you know my pick would be Elvis Cole, no doubt about it. And if he was on vacation or out of town investigating something else, I'd call in Phillip Marlow or Sam Spade. Hey, I'm old school.

Debbie February 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

I stopped at "A" for Alibi also, but probably not for the same reasons as you did. (It wasn't my favorite, but I just had so many more in my TBR pile. I might read another one in the future )

This is a fun question!! Although I've discovered that I lean towards the cozy mysteries. (if that's the correct word)

What sleuth would I hire to clear my name?
The trouble with "cozies" is that there is rarely a sleuth for hire...they are mostly homemakers, librarians, bookstore owners who come upon murders. All the time.
Stephanie Plumb? no, she's a bail bondsman.
Deborah Knott? no, she's a judge.

I need to change gears...
Peter Decker? He's a police detective...I can't hire him.

Okay... I would hire Tess Monaghan!

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

How funny! I went A thru H, I think, and could take no more- however I have almost all of them on my shelves. Sue Grafton's books seem to come out just before my birthday, and each year someone in my family gets the next in the series for me, whether I want them or not. I finally had to ask them to stop!

Oh, and I'm a fellow gusher. When I like something, EVERYONE knows!

Jen Forbus February 19, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

You guys are so much fun. Thanks for playing along!

Lisa, it's so nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way about Grafton! :)

Yes, gentlemen, thank you - I prefer enthusiasm to gush; it definitely has a much nicer connotation! :)

trish February 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

Whenever I go to a book signing, I like to sit in the front row so I can connect easier with the author. And I jump right into the signing line because I don't like to stand around too long waiting for other people to clear out. :-)

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP