Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oh, What a Night!

Yesterday I met Meredith Cole over at the Barnes and Noble Book Clubs site where she was talking about her debut novel released yesterday - Posed for Murder. It sounds awesome and I've added it to my TBR pile. I was pretty psyched after that. That is until I headed home and the whole day seemed to go downhill!

I stopped to pick up some cheeseburgers for dinner. I ordered cheeseburgers with no ketchup. I got cheeseburgers with no cheese. Now I ask you - WHY would someone order cheeseburgers with no cheese? And pay for a cheeseburger when they could order a hamburger, get the same thing and pay less? Needless to say, I won't be returning to THAT place anytime soon. Absurd! This is precisely why the folks are supposed to repeat your order back to you. Although, how ketchup and cheese could possible sound alike is also beyond me.

But, that event would not be enough to ruin my evening. However, when I got home and started to work online, I got in about 10 minutes before my DSL connection went down. Oh thrill, oh joy! So, I call the CenturyTel folks and they have a recording saying DSL customers may be experiencing some connectivity issues, you need to repower the system and you should return to service. Repowered - nope! No service still. So, I call them, wait through their recorded message, then wait on hold for about 5 minutes only to have them hang up on me. So, by this time, my patience is wearing thin. I call back, wait through the recording and 7 or 8 minutes on hold before I finally talk to the tech support - "yes, you've done everything you can do on your end; so I need to send a technician out." O.k., then he wants to know if they need to get inside the house when is a good time frame? Uhm, I work - a job - you know that pays for this DSL connection? I get home around 5. Well, they need a time frame, "how is 4 - 5"? Whatever. I'm just hoping I get my connection back tonight.

In the meantime, I'm having high hopes for this day. Think positive! Tomorrow I'll be hosting a guest blogger, so make sure you check back...hopefully YOU have YOUR DSL connection! :)

Happy Reading!


4 comments:

Joe Barone February 18, 2009 at 10:12 AM  

Cheeseburgers with no cheese. Is that kind of like mystery books with no interesting characters in them.

Corey Wilde February 18, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

I find it interesting, to put it mildly, that when my drive-thru order is taken by anyone whose first language is not English (usually Mexican or Asian), I get my order precisely as I ordered it. Ditto when the order-taker has gray hair and wrinkles. It is only when I am served by an all-American youth that his/her hearing and English seem to fail and I end up quoting Joe Pesci in 'Lethal Weapon.'

Good luck on your DSL!

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

Had a good laugh at your post because as a matter of fact, I do order cheeseburgers with no cheese! My 11 yo likes just plain plain everything. McDonalds has a McDouble on their dollar menu- 2 burger patties with a single slice of cheese. They don't have a double burger on the dollar menu, so it's cheaper to go with the McDouble plain, no cheese, than to buy 2 single burgers or a double. Crazy I know but we save almost a dollar that way for the exact same food.

Jen Forbus February 19, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

Joe, I guess when you say it that way, the cheeseburgers with no cheese aren't actually THAT bad. I will eat them - grudgingly. Mysteries with no interesting characters I definitely WON'T read! :) Thanks for stopping by!

Corey, I felt de ja vu reading your comment! Sad, sad, sad!

Lisa, that's funny. But that was my thought...if I can get the same exact thing for cheaper by ordering a hamburger - why would I order it this way...they still charged me for the cheeseburger, which is a dime more! Oy. It makes my head hurt just trying to figure out the logic!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP