Friday, February 20, 2009

Still Fuming

Well, it is now Day 3 of the no-Internet connection drama. I spent over an hour on the phone with my provider last night, half of which was probably on hold. When I came home tonight and it still wasn't fixed, I called yet again. Four times since Tuesday - ridiculous. Anyway, supposedly someone came out today and worked on the line, BUT I still have no connection. They've assured me they will be out tomorrow again. Tomorrow is their last chance. If I don't have a connection by tomorrow I'm finding another provider. Unfortunately, there aren't many to choose from in my area. Not exactly sure why that is, but it is. In the meantime, my parents are graciously sharing their Internet with me. Thanks Mom and Dad!

I do have a couple links to share with you that I've found this week. I want to start by telling you that you can go here to win a Slanket. Have you heard of these things? All I can say is I NEED one; after all the snow I've had to endure this winter, I definitely need one. So, even if you're not interested, how about if you go enter - then if you win you can give it to ME! ;)

And I've been reading some excerpts from some new mysteries. Chester Campbell's new book, THE SUREST POISON, doesn't come out until April, but you can catch a glimpse of the first two chapters here. I especially like his character descriptions:

"A young cop with more experience at changing diapers than in confronting trauma on his beat,"

"The last time he had glanced in a mirror, the glower he saw made him think of a troll."

And there's a character who likes to jazz up cliches. That definitely tells ya something about a character, doesn't it?

I was also reading the beginning of POSED FOR MURDER. This is Meredith Cole's debut novel. Ken Isaacson tipped me off to Meredith, and I sure am glad he did. She won the St. Martin's/Malice Domestic Best Traditional First Mystery Award for POSED FOR MURDER. And she shares the beginning of her novel here. POSED FOR MURDER released this week. One of the things that I mentioned in my comment at the site was how much I liked the way Meredith weaves her physical character description into the story. She doesn't take a paragraph and describe every detail of what the character is wearing, instead she slips little details in at the most appropriate times. I love that. I know I often get frustrated when a writer pretty much stops the momentum of a story to describe the tie the guy's wearing. O.k., who cares?

O.k., and last, Alafair Burke's ANGEL'S TIP is now available on audio. She's blogging about the audio and Lee Child's opinion of it here. Oh and make sure you check out her post about our new president's potty mouth while you're there - too funny! I love it!

With any luck, I'll be back tomorrow...on my own computer! In the meantime, happy reading!!




5 comments:

Corey Wilde February 20, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Sorry about your connection, Jen. I know how you feel. Mine was lost for a week when Hurricane Ike hit last year.

Slanket? Really? Looks like something cult members all wear for the big sacrifice...

Chester Campbell February 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

Thanks for the mention of The Surest Poison, Jen. Incidentally, the lawyer comes up with another tortured cliche later on.

le0pard13 February 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

We need you back online, Jen. Hope they get their act together and fix that DSL. If I win that Slanket, it's yours!

Jen Forbus February 21, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Hey everyone! THanks for stopping by and the well wishes on the DSL. I'll be calling to find a new provider tomorrow. I guess I'm not a patient person. I feel cut off from the world right now and I'm sponging off the family members to get Internet time. Michael - you rock! It's snowing again here and I would love to be cuddling inside that thing right now!

Chester, thanks for stopping by! I'm looking forward to finishing SUREST POISON! Those cliches are too much!

On the plus side, I've finished three books that I need to get reviews up for. When I get back in business, the books are going to roll!

Liz February 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

In the middle of floods last September, we also lost the phone line that fuels the DSL. AT&T had to fix it in some of the worst rains in years. I didn't care... I needed my Internet!

Keep reading! I just finished listening to a fantastic book, "Resonance," by AJ Scudiere. Actually, it's less an audiobook and more an audio movie! It's a very well done audio book -- simply amazing, really. Movies are a big step up from audiobooks. Give it a listen.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP