Sunday, March 8, 2009

Best Book I Never Read

On Wednesday last week I mentioned a regular post that some bloggers participate in called "Thursday's Thoughts." There's another one called "Booking Through Thursday." If I am not mistaken, the question for this originates through The Library Thing. I've never participated in it myself, but have read posts from several bloggers who do. This week's question rather piqued my interest when I read it over at Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'? So here was the question:

We’ve all seen the lists, we’ve all thought, “I should really read that someday,” but for all of us, there are still books on “The List” that we haven’t actually gotten around to reading. Even though we know they’re fabulous. Even though we know that we’ll like them. Or that we’ll learn from them. Or just that they’re supposed to be worthy. We just … haven’t gotten around to them yet. What’s the best book that YOU haven’t read yet?

Now, I can't answer what the BEST book is because I, well, haven't read them yet. But I do have quite a few on my bookshelves that I bought and they keep getting moved to the back of the line because I own them. I can read them later, after I read the one from the library, the one that was loaned to me, the one that was sent to me....you get the idea.

So here's the list of my top priorities. The ones I need to find time to read sometime before I die. Maybe I can even fit one in this year!

Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
David Copperfield (Charles Dickens)
Pudd'nhead Wilson (Mark Twain)
Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
I Know This Much Is True (Wally Lamb)
Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt)
The Long Goodbye and Farewell My Lovely (Raymond Chandler)

How about you? What's on your list of the "best books I've never read"?


7 comments:

Corey Wilde March 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Probably the book I'm most ashamed of not yet having read is 'Catcher in the Rye.'

trish March 8, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

Booking Through Thursday doesn't originate through Library Thing - that's another meme you're thinking of called Tuesday Thingers. This one is just a stand alone meme.

Your list has a lot more literary books on it than mine does, even though I haven't read most of the books on your list. Looks like we'll both be reading Middlesex at some point in the future, though. :-)

Anonymous March 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

I've read two of your list, I KNOW THIS MUCH IS TRUE and MIDDLESEX. Both are quite good, although long. I have way too many "good" books I haven't read. Maybe some day.

le0pard13 March 8, 2009 at 7:47 PM  


Catcher in the Rye
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
Blood Meridian
Frankenstein
The Boys of Summer
Undaunted Courage
The Killer Angels
Stranger in a Strange Land

I hope to pick off one or two of them this year, I think ;-).

Jen Forbus March 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM  

You guys! I haven't read Catcher in the Rye either! I have it on my shelf. Started it a couple years back and put it aside because a library book came in. That one should be on my list!

Michael, The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all-time favs. Let me know if you read that one and what you think.

Kay, I have a friend who keeps asking me if I've read I Know this Much is True or Middlesex. She's sure I'm going to love them both, but I always have to ashamedly say, "no, they're still sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get to them." I WILL, though! I'm determined! :)

Trish, having been a English lit major in college, I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't read David Copperfield, yet. Especially since I love Dickens as much as I do. Oy. I WILL get to that one, too!! LOL And we'll have to compare notes on Middlesex once we've each had a chance to read it!

Corey Wilde March 8, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

Oh, yeah, Michael named another one I keep meaning to read, 'The Killer Angels.'

Anonymous March 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

I never could finish 'Anna Karenina.' Sixteen interminable chapters before Tolstoy even introduces his title character. No wonder she ended up as she did. I'd do the same thing if I had to read the whole book.

"Best" book I haven't read is probably "John Adams" by David McCullough. I'm sure I would like it, I don't know why I keep putting it off.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP