Thursday, May 28, 2009

HARD EVIDENCE - John Lescroart

Dismas Hardy returns in the third book from John Lescroart's series. The opening finds Dismas and Frannie married with baby Rebecca and another baby on the way. Dismas has left bartending behind and is now working for the San Francisco Prosecutor's office as an assistant D.A.

Dismas is the low man on the totem pole in the D.A.'s office so he's dealing with the crap cases. That is until he discovers a hand in the belly of a dead shark. When the rest of the body washes ashore with bullet holes, Dismas is assigned to work with Elizabeth Poolios (sp?) to prosecute the victims call-girl girlfriend. At least that's the side of the court room Dismas starts out on. By the end of the novel, he's working from the defense table.

I listened to this Hardy novel on audio book, which was read by David Colacci. He did a fair job but his range of voices isn't quite sufficient for the number of characters in this novel. Some of the characters begin to sound alike. But otherwise he does a decent job. He narrated both novels prior to this one as well, and I've come to associate his voice with Hardy.

There isn't a great change in characters for this novel. Dismas' ex Jane and her father Andy are back. Elizabeth Poolios becomes a major player in this novel and she falls into a stereotypical female with power role. For the most part I really enjoy Dismas as a character, but as a female reader his brush with infidelity rubbed me a little the wrong way. I wonder if that differs for male readers? I guess deep down somewhere I'm just an old romantic at heart!

The plot takes on a number of twists, but I was able to figure out the end quite early. It was still an enjoyable book to listen to and I'm interested to see where Lescroart takes Hardy from here.

2 comments:

Anonymous July 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM  

HELLO JEN,

WAS WONDERING HOW YOU LIKE JOHN LESCROART? DO U READ HIS SERIES IN ORDER. ALSO WHAT JONATHAN KELLERMAN RECOMMENDATIONS DO U HAVE FOR A FIRST TIME KELLERMAN READER?

Jen Forbus July 28, 2009 at 6:04 PM  

Hi! I enjoy Lescroart's Dismas Hardy series. I don't know that I feel Dismas is as strong a character as some (i.e. Elvis Cole, Samantha Kincaid, Walt Longmire, Poke Rafferty, Kubu, Kel McKelvy, etc.) but the books are enjoyable. Yes, I have also been listening to them on audio in order.

As far as Kellerman, I've tried to read his Alex Delaware series in order as well. I'm very fond of Milo in that series. I will say that Alex is a rather static character throughout that series. And after a few books there are a lot things that start sounding alike. I still enjoy them, though. That's another series I listen to a lot of audios with. I really the reader for that series.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP