Sunday, January 17, 2010

What Would YOU Like to See Nominated?

Alafair Burke put this short video together on what MWA folks would like to see nominated this year for the Edgar Awards. I think it's an intriguing question, so I'll throw it out for all of you as well. Check out the video and then let me know in the comments what you'd like to see nominated this year:


I have to be honest and say I don't know where the cut-off dates are for this year's nominations, but I think Craig Johnson is long overdue for recognition here and would like to see THE DARK HORSE get a nod. I also think TELL NO ONE (Gregg Hurwitz), THE BRUTAL TELLING (Louise Penny) and TOWER (Coleman/Bruen) are deserving. I'm listening to THE LONG FALL during my workouts and it's another powerful book. Also, I've said this repeatedly, Timothy Hallinan's amazing. BREATHING WATER is the best of the Poke Rafferty series and I don't know how this series is being kept such a secret. I think this year will be a challenge; there was a lot of great stuff out there.

Best first novel. I'll be disappointed if Sophie Littlefield and Brad Parks are overlooked here.

And I'm not much in the prognostication department, but THE FIRST RULE and PRINT THE LEGEND will be hard pressed to find contenders in my reading for next year!

I'd also like to see S.J. Rozan's short story "Night Court" from THE PROSECUTION RESTS get a nod in the short story category. It's magnificent.

O.k., your turn! Whatda think?



9 comments:

David Thompson January 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

My favorite novel of 2009 was Michael Robotham's SHATTER (Doubleday)... I really hope it gets nominated. :-)

And, of course, as publisher of Busted Flush Press, I'd love to see Ken Bruen & Reed Farrel Coleman's TOWER nominated for Best Paperback Original (I know I'm biased, but it's a wonderful book!), and Ace Atkins's "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" (from CROSSROAD BLUES) up for Best Short Story.

Anonymous January 17, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

The 'problem' with doing this is that I know I'll forget someone, but the ones that leap immediately to mind for me are: SHATTER by Michael Robotham, FLIPPING OUT by Marshall Karp, MIND SCRAMBLER by Chris Grabenstein , and DEATH WORE WHITE by Jim Kelly.

Jen Forbus January 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

Well geez! If you're both wanting SHATTER to get a nod, I need to get my paws on this book.

apmonkey, I totally agree with MIND SCRAMBLER. I have to keep reminding myself that it was a 2009 pub. I read it in early Dec. 2008 but it's definitely my favorite of the whole series, which says a lot since I adore that entire series!

Thanks for the input!

Alafair Burke January 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

Thanks for linking to the video, Jen. The Edgars will be a treat for me this year: because I didn't have anything out in 2009, I won't have to feel slighted!

le0pard13 January 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

Very cool, Jen. Thanks.

p.s., I've nominated you for Kreativ Blogger, my friend.

Timothy Hallinan January 18, 2010 at 1:13 AM  

Thanks, Jen. The check is in the mail, and I added a couple of zeros.

This means a lot to me.

Corey Wilde January 18, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

I'd like to see Zeltserman's PARIAH and McKinty's FIFTY GRAND get nominated.

Pop Culture Nerd January 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

I'd like to see Richard Lange's THIS WICKED WORLD nommed as best debut, along with Sophie's and Brad's books. Gillian Flynn should also be recognized for DARK PLACES.

I recently received a book blurbed by Adrian McKinty and thought of you, Corey. Still haven't read FIFTY GRAND yet but it's in my queue.

Did you add sparkly little icons or something next to people's comments, Jen? Could just be me seeing stars.

Jen Forbus January 18, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

Do you like those little sparklies, PCN? hehehe...that's from the snap shots plug in I was playing with in preparation for my new look.

I borrowed Fifty Grand from the library on audio, but it was an mp3 disc. I can only play the mp3s on my computer or my mp3 player - not in the CD player in the car...and then I was having technical difficulty getting it on my mp3 player. I had to return it, but LP13 gave me the secret to getting it on my mp3 player...so now I can borrow it again. Aren't you all glad I shared that ridiculously long story?

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP