Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Crime Writers Caught Recommending Crime

'Tis the season to start thinking about holiday gifts. I wanted to figure out a fun way to share book recommendations for the crime fiction reader, so I asked some friends to help me out this year. Each weekday throughout November and possibly into December, I'll have a picture of a crime fiction author recommending a book that he/she enjoyed and would recommend to others. Then I will pair the author's recommendation up with a recommendation of my own. The stipulation I gave everyone participating was that it didn't have to be a book published this year, but it did have to be in print. So you won't have to chase it down or pay a fortune for it.

I'm linking each recommendation to an independent book store, so if you want to quickly and easily order it, just click on the book title's link. Each recommending author will be linked back to his/her website. I hope you'll take some time to check out authors who may be new to you. You'll see some new faces here this month. I'm very excited about that.

So, let's kick "Crime Writers Caught Recommending Crime" with a wonderfully funny, talented writer, who also happens to be one of my favorite people to follow on Twitter. Bill Cameron, author of DAY ONE, is recommending JUNKYARD DOGS by Craig Johnson. I don't think you can go wrong with Craig Johnson.

Bill says, "I can never get enough Walt Longmire. Hell, I want to BE Walt Longmire. There's nothing like settling down with a Craig Johnson novel, can of Ranier at my side, for an evening's read."

So then my recommendation for the first day of CWCRC is a book by an author who was new to me this year. I read THE LOCK ARTIST by Steve Hamilton earlier in the year, but it has stuck with me all year long. I am regularly recommending it to friends and family for the layered plot, the masterfully sculpted characters, the haunting tone. And I originally listened to it on audio from Brilliance, and can equally recommend the audio as well. THE LOCK ARTIST is truly a must for any crime fiction fan.

O.k., Day 1 brings you a recommendation of Craig Johnson's JUNKYARD DOGS from Bill Cameron and Steve Hamilton's THE LOCK ARTIST from yours truly. Check back tomorrow for another great holiday gift recommendation!

Happy reading and holiday shopping.

9 comments:

Beth F November 2, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

You always have the best ideas!!! I have Johnson's first book on my MP3 player, I need to actually listen to it. LOL

Lesa November 2, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

Great idea, Jen! But, I had to crack up that your first recommendation came from an author who recommends Craig Johnson. Sneaky, sneaky! Didn't feel you could do it again, so kicked off the season with Bill Cameron doing it? It is a great idea, Jen. Beth's right. You do have the best ideas.

Jenn's Bookshelves November 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

Fabulous idea, Jen! Junkyard Dogs & The Lock Artist are already on my wish list thank to your recommendation! I see my wish list growing substantially this month!

PokerBen November 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

What a cool way to discover new reads. Except instead of giving them, I'm hoping to receive them. :)

Pop Culture Nerd November 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

This is yet another cool project, Jen. I look forward to all the suggestions!

BTW, my word verification is "herpo." What is Blogger trying to tell me?

Naomi Johnson November 2, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

I really do want to get around to reading The Lock Artist.

Jen Forbus November 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Thanks everyone! I'm so glad you enjoyed the kick-off. There's lots more fun to come :-)

And Lesa, I didn't even have to ASK Bill to do it. He submitted it all by his lonesome. I think you'll like tomorrow's too!

PCN, Blogger tries to tell me things all the time. I never listen!

Sophie Littlefield November 3, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

Bill, you look so darn dignified and erudite in this photo!!

L.J. Sellers November 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

I loved The Lock Artist too! I also recommend Beat the Reaper for many of the same reasons.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP