Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Crime Writers Caught Recommending Crime - Day 6

Who needs 12 Days of Christmas? We're going to have far more holiday recommendations than 12! Today I'm very excited to have Lenny Kleinfeld making a recommendation. If you remember, on Friday Jeffrey Siger recommended Lenny's book, SHOOTERS AND CHASERS. Now Lenny's here to recommend a book by Leighton Gage, who writes the Chief Inspector Mario Silva series. Lenny has a great sense of humor and makes me laugh whenever we correspond. Here's what he has to say about his holiday recommendation, Dying Gasp:

"Brazil is emerging as a First World economic power but is still riddled with Third World social inequities, political corruption, and flourishing, ruthless, sometimes ghastly criminal entrepreneurship. Leighton's Inspector Silva series is doing a brilliant job of taking a scalpel, a flashlight and a dry wit to a fascinatingly complex country; Dying Gasp is the third and most accomplished novel in the series. It's for anyone who's into hard-hitting contemporary crime fiction. But, fair warning, it ain't for the squeamish."


First of all, don't you just love this picture? I'm not sure where Lenny is, but that backdrop is superb.

Dying Gasp is a book that's coming up in my reading rotation, so I'm excited to hear such a great recommendation for it. And it's a new part of the world for me. I don't think I've read anything set in Brazil before.

I'll stay with the international mystery theme here and recommend Daniel Silva today. Believe it or not, I read my first Daniel Silva novel this year and absolutely fell in love with it. The Rembrandt Affair was intriguing, exotic, complex and thrilling. It had me turning pages long after I should have gone to bed. I'm not typically a huge fan of spy thrillers, but this one had me from page one, so it comes with my highest recommendation. I'm thrilled to have discovered Silva and am looking forward to checking out his backlist now.

So there you have today's recommendations. How's the TBR list looking for you now? Have you found any gift ideas yet? Well, if you're saying "no," have no fear, we have many more recommendations coming your way. And there's a wide array of kinds of crime novels and the format. Check back, I'm sure we'll ultimately have something for everyone!

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Naomi Johnson November 9, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

Leighton Gage's books are my Discovery of the Year. I'll second Lenny's recommendation.

Dorte H November 9, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

I read Leighton Gage´s debut this summer and liked it. I have just read no 4 which is even better, and I won´t even warn the squeamish. This one was not nearly as graphic as the first one.

Naomi Johnson November 9, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

Dorte, I read #4 first (review coming at the end of the month), then went back to read the rest. Only have Dying Gasp left to read. Then I'll be depressed until whenever the fifth one comes out.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP